playMaker

Author Topic: A more advanced word search function using Array Maker?  (Read 2642 times)

Groo Gadgets

• Beta Group
A more advanced word search function using Array Maker?
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been working on a word game using Array Maker and i've hit a wall with the functionality of how I would like to perform a word list lookup.

I've been playing around with Jean's fantastic word match sample that comes with Array Maker and i'd like to extend it's word search function.

Basically i would like to find how many words a single string contains. For example; let's say I have the word CARTS, I would like to have the functionality to search for and store all the words it contains.

So the word CARTS would output the following list of words:
CAR, CART, CARTS, ART, ARTS

Would this be possible using existing actions and states or would it require a new action?

Any help would be great  :-)

Cheers,

Simon

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: A more advanced word search function using Array Maker?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »
Hi,

I am no sure I am following.

the word search is only based on the list provided. but I kind of see what you are after, you want to split "CARTS" into "C" "CA" "CAR" CART" and "CARTS" and match any items in the list right?

bye,

Jean

Groo Gadgets

• Beta Group
Re: A more advanced word search function using Array Maker?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
Hey Jean,

My word game will let players add to any real words they create. Kind of like what you can do while playing a game of Scrabble.

A simple example would be as follows:
1. In the first turn player creates the word CAR
2. In the second turn the player adds a "T" to the end of the existing word to create CART

I would like to have the functionality for Array Maker to perform a search of the string CART and output all real words it finds within the string. So in this example it would output 3 real words: CAR, ART and CART

I could brute force a function within a state loop so that it checks the range of the first 3 letters in the string, then the last 3 letters, then finally all 4 letters. This would become very tedious as the player creates longer words.

My game grid can have words up to 7 letters in length but where I would really like to get this working is if the player creates a row of 7 random letters the game's word search engine could "extract" real words from it.

For example if the player creates a row of the following letters GFTAXEB the game's word search engine would find and extract two real words: TAX and AXE

I hope this makes things a little clearer  :-)

Cheers,

Simon