playMaker

Author Topic: Looking for a specific tutorial on Beat Em ups  (Read 1876 times)

Knuckleup

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Sugarhigh Shakedown Dev Blog (A love letter of tragedy to beat em ups)
Looking for a specific tutorial on Beat Em ups
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
Hi.  I’ve been piecing together tutorials on Playmaker aspects.  Currently building a game in C# , but starting to think about switching completely to Playmaker. 
Have any of you come across a one stop tutorial or tutorial series that covers a beat em up like around Dragon for Nes or similar style game?  It can also be ina reading format.

Thank you

daniellogin

Re: Looking for a specific tutorial on Beat Em ups
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 02:42:21 AM »
Why does it have to be a specific tutorial? I mean that would obviously be right to the point for you, but in the end it will use the same actions shared between all types of games. For example triggering animations, moving game objects, enabling/disabling collision boxes, etc.

If you can't find anything specific by searching, just search each piece one by one or watch some general tutorials to get an idea behind the logic of making things.

For example I've never tried to make a beat em up, but I would do the punching and kicking by making a collision boxes which are children of the moving character. The punch button would trigger the animation and then turn the box collider on for a brief moment. The same FSM could then disable the collider, or maybe the collider itself could have an FSM which shuts itself off after a Wait period or detecting that it hit. The target would then have an FSM which detects the collision and triggers it's hit animation and adds to an Int for health. This is not that much different than my current VR shooter where a projectile has a collision box that hits the enemy... which is not that much different than running into a health kit in a side scroller... etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:44:28 AM by daniellogin »

Knuckleup

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Sugarhigh Shakedown Dev Blog (A love letter of tragedy to beat em ups)
Re: Looking for a specific tutorial on Beat Em ups
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
With one tutorial it would be easier to follow, granted there are other aspects I want to add and no chance of it being in the same one.

Thanks for the reply and tips though.  Definitely have to approach the appearing collision boxes which makes sense.

Thanks.