playMaker

Author Topic: Creating a magic based combat system  (Read 1939 times)

cfavat

• Playmaker Newbie
Creating a magic based combat system
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »
Hey everyone -

I'm working on a 3rd person rpg and have been having some difficulty creating the magical combat system.

Ideally I'd like to start with a single firebolt spellcast then eventually develop a tech tree.

Are there any recommended resources or advice that could offer some insight?

Thanks in advance!

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
Re: Creating a magic based combat system
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 04:30:39 AM »
What do you need exactly? I mean, your going pretty wide here, let's break it down to components.
Available for Playmaker work

cfavat

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »
apologies for the delayed response!

my first goal is to establish a basic spell format/template in playmaker that I can use to create various magic abilities. Ideally I'd like to be able to make a playmaker template for altering particles, damage, duration, effects, & cooldowns when creating new spells.

I hope that makes sense!

evmo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
Your description of what you want is really vague but I think I know what you mean. There's so many ways you could go about something like this. How many spells are we talking about? 5, 50, 500?

If it's only a handful, then you could do something like make an fsm with a few bools in it that just allows you to select the spells as you turn the bools to true. This would be simple to make but would scale horribly.

I would probably use an array and add the spells you learn to it as whatever variable makes sense for you. Then you could make the means of learning those spells whatever you wanted and you wouldn't be limited to a set number. If it was in the array, you could use it.

If you wanted to change the power of the spells just be sure to make all their stats a variable.  Then, when you want to upgrade them just use the "set fsm float" to add to it or whatever. You could then make different  (weak, medium, strong etc) particle effects that test the variable before going active and display a different effect depending on what the stat is.

These are just very general ideas but maybe they will get you thinking in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:26:06 PM by evmo »