playMaker

Author Topic: Unable to install Playmaker  (Read 2691 times)

cats00eye

• Playmaker Newbie
Unable to install Playmaker
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »
Okay, so no one was able to help with the custom actions question I had (see that thread below). So then I realised I was using a fairly old installation of Unity. So I uninstalled and then downloaded the latest Unity 2018. Now I can't install Playmaker. I have tried every permutation of every step described in https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W624  - but I'm just getting a useless Playmaker submenu under the Component menu. This is into a completely fresh project by the way - except for the fact that I have installed and deleted Playmaker about two dozen times from it.
Just to be clear, since despite saying I have been through all the troubleshooting steps, someone is likely to ask me if I've been through the troubleshooting steps - I have done it all, in different orders, several times - deleting folders, fresh projects, default layouts, restarting Unity, rebooting, everything.
Please don't let me regret buying Playmaker.

Deek

Re: Unable to install Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
In your Assets folder go to PlayMaker>Editor>Installer and doubleclick on the latest .unitypackage in that folder(e.g. "Playmaker.1.8.9.unitypackage") to import it, that should install the rest of PlayMaker.

I also sometimes had that problem when installing PlayMaker that the Welcome Screen only imports this sub-package but doesn't install its content, which means you have to do it manually.

cats00eye

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Double clicking the package in Unity tried to open another Unity instance, which it didn't like. So instead I copied the Playmaker package to my desktop. I closed Unity and restarted, making a new project from the splash screen. I chose this time not to add Playmaker at this stage. Once it was up, I imported the desktop Playmaker package by selecting it through the assets/import custom package menu items.

I should say that each time I try to import, I get a dialogue (pictured) - I have tried both options.

I got the same result as above - a useless submenu under Components. Errors also appeared for the first time (pictured). I imported the package a second time. This time, when the package contents box appeared, only two items were selectable (I assume the only items that were not already in the project) - playmakereditor.dll.mdb and editorstartupprefs.asset. I continued with the import, with the same result again.

cats00eye

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »
I got it to install. Imported from the Asset Store into a fresh project exactly as I'd done and failed a dozen times before.