playMaker

Author Topic: Inspector variables messed up  (Read 3729 times)

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
Inspector variables messed up
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
Hi.

I made a prefab that uses some inspector variables used to assign GameObjects from the scene. I later modified my prefab adding a new GO variable and it messed up the variables assignment of my scene.

I noticed this happens if my new variable goes previously to the other one in the automatic alphabetical order. It looks like playmaker identifies the variables through their number in the list.

For example: my first variable is "Target" (currently n1). It's public and Used in scenes to assign gameobjects in the inspector. Then I add a new one named "missile" and, because M goes before T in alphabetical order, "missile" will be n1 and Target will become n2. In the inspector, I will end up with "Target" losing it's target and "missile" having them if public.

Note this as no influence in the playmaker editor but messes things up in the inspector.

So far I mananged to avoid the issue by adding up variables with a name that goes after like "zMissile" but it's easy to forget and screw up a game badly while working.

To avoid that I think an easy fix would be to deactivate the alphabetical order and leave the variables in the order they were created. This way, whatever is n1 will keep that ID and so on.

I hope that will be as easy as I describe. ^^'

Thanks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Inspector variables messed up
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
Hi,

Can you report this problem via the PlayMaker bug reported ( under PlayMaker/tools menu). Thanks :)

Bye,

Jean

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »
It's done. I copy pasted my previous message as I think it's complete enough but feel free to contact me if you need more infos.  ;)

Thanks

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »
Hi.

Anything new about this? I'd like to put prefab use on the next level but can't because of this. :-/ Right now, modifying a prefab that instances depends on inspector variables can screw up an entire project and destroy hours of work.

I have insist on this to be fixed. Some bugs you can work around but this one create a massive limitation and a serious liability.

If my first message wasn't clear, I'll be happy to give more infos about it.  ;)

Thanks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »
Hi,

indeed the coming beta version has done a lot of bug fixing on prefabs. Maybe you could join the beta group, then you can testify if the issue was indeed solved or not.

pm me if you are interested.

Bye,

Jean

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »
That's great news, I'd be happy to test the beta.  :D I PM you right away.

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 04:01:05 AM »
Hi Jean.

I just tested the last release of Playmaker and checked for that bug. Sadly it is still present. :-\

Reminder of the bug: I first created a prefab with a single variable, "direct light". In my scene, I attributed the directional light to it. Then I edited my prefab and added the "camera" variable. Now the assigned variables of my instance are messed up because the inspector only check them through alphabetical order.

Thanks

Marc Saubion

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 04:05:52 AM »
I think I found a way around this issue. It doesn't happen with templates, so if the FSM is saved as a template used by the prefab, you can add variables afterward.

It's a bit unpractical but looks stable enough.  :)