playMaker

Author Topic: Creating core elements like saving and updating for a videogame?  (Read 1883 times)

peaks

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi everyone,
I've been using Playmaker for a loong time now, mostly on interactive art installations and several small university projects. But, I want to do this now on a larger scale and create (and hopefully publish) my first videogame on steam.
But, I have some question "for the pro's" ;):

1) Saving in videogames
How do you achieve this? Lets say I have 3 unlockable levels - after one level is completed, the next one gets unlocked at the level select screen. If I turn off the game and restart, it saved my state and I can continue at level 2.

1b) Gameupdates
Say I have V1 of my Game published and want to add some new levels into my game - do I simply work on that unity project, export a new file and upload it to the steam servers? How can I be sure that the player-progress will keep the same like before the update? (somehow related to savegame I assume).

thanks for your answers!

Plancksize

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
Re: Creating core elements like saving and updating for a videogame?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've been using Playmaker for a loong time now, mostly on interactive art installations and several small university projects. But, I want to do this now on a larger scale and create (and hopefully publish) my first videogame on steam.
But, I have some question "for the pro's" ;):

1) Saving in videogames
How do you achieve this? Lets say I have 3 unlockable levels - after one level is completed, the next one gets unlocked at the level select screen. If I turn off the game and restart, it saved my state and I can continue at level 2.

1b) Gameupdates
Say I have V1 of my Game published and want to add some new levels into my game - do I simply work on that unity project, export a new file and upload it to the steam servers? How can I be sure that the player-progress will keep the same like before the update? (somehow related to savegame I assume).

thanks for your answers!

Can't really answer the part 2 of your question (the only update system I made myself was for a simple game and it just retrieves new images from a server address) but for the first part, and if we're talking Local saves only:

- For very small project with not much to save, I just use PlayerPrefs.
https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PlayerPrefs.html

- For more complex save files I use Easy Save from the Asset Store
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/input-management/easy-save-the-complete-save-load-asset-768