playMaker

Author Topic: Worry about showing before release? Giving out test copies?  (Read 1914 times)

daniellogin

Worry about showing before release? Giving out test copies?
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:07:46 AM »
I've been fooling around with Playmaker and Unity since Feb this year. I haven't really had any previous experience with game making and can't code at all, but I've come a long way using PM and think I'm at the stage where I could actually release a project that I make.

Trying not to be too long winded before getting to the point, what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea about the professional and industry specific aspects of marketing/releasing a game. I'm starting to wonder about things so have some questions in regards to sharing a project before it's on a store for sale.

What do people think about sharing images/videos/game mechanics descriptions about games before the project is complete?

I see that there is actually a sub-forum about sharing WIP videos and etc, and so obviously there can be some merits to it. But does anyone worry about doing it too soon?
I mean for example, my latest project has come along very quickly. I think I could polish it up and try to release it. Not trying to be mega successful or make a living or anything, but just dabbling into the world of other people playing my games. The thing is though that little ol' me has put this together so far in about a week. I think the mechanics are fun to play but are really very simple.
So to re-frame the question; Does anyone worry that releasing info about a project before it's done could lead to other people doing the idea and maybe even getting their project out the door before you are finished? In which case you would look like you are the one ripping of the other guy and would be unoriginal.

If this is a concern, when is too soon or just the right time to share? I could show in game footage right now of pretty much what you will get in the completed game, but will I then see someone releasing 'my game' two weeks from now? (while I'm bogged down in my real day job and life)

Different question now;
How do people approach giving out test copies of their game? Does anyone worry that it would just be uploaded and then no one would need to buy the game?

Should some kind of time based locks be used? Or maybe just try to vet play testers very carefully? I don't know anyone so if I want play testers I'm going to have to hand out copies to strangers. So yeah, any thoughts/general practices for this?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Worry about showing before release? Giving out test copies?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:23 AM »
Hi,

I have this principle in life that so far seems to work.

People stilling ideas will always be, however, your advantage is that you can have more ideas, they can't, so I would not be afraid of sharing work for people to look at what you are doing, this could lead to meeting new people, or even a publisher, and progress through life in some very unexpected ways. None of this will ever happen if you fear showing your work.

I would make a wip thread on this forum, as well as on Unity forum. I can tell you from my experience that this will attract a lot of people ( I even got jobs out of this), bu simply logging your work in the wip sections, and keep people informed about your progress, as well not being shy to help people wanting to do similar things. It will rewards you more than you can imagine ( I also speak from experience here).

I would not give out test copies though, and instead create a beta list and only share your work on that list while it's not officially public on a proper store or steam or else. you don't need a lot of testers, what you need is good testers that will indeed give feedback...

Maybe go to a Unity group meeting, if you leave in a big town, there will likely be a group nearby.

you can also make a free version with just one level, just to gain feedback, that would be ok, and you could gather some valuable feedback.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:59:23 AM »
Hi.

I totally agree with jean.

If you use beta testers you 'can' let them sign a agreement if you wish.

if you got good feedback from your testers and you release your game,

invest in ads!! on facebook or other social media, unity mobile ads and so on.

If for example you would release your game on the google play store, you won't even be seen in the "New & updated games"
So if no one sees it, no one will play it.

or you could go for a publisher like Ketchapp or Voodoo.

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »
The game i've been working on and off for the past several years has turned out to be a hyper casual game.  I've let some design aspects be influenced by Voodoo and Ketchapp as they publish the most games in the top 100 mobile games category.  I also happen to use them as the bar I set for myself in terms of fun/quality, etc.

In my case since its a hyper casual mobile game..  I have it on my phone and I ask friends/family to play it and watch their reactions.  Few love it, most like it, and a few dislike it.  So it's helped me determine where the parts they dislike the most comes from and polish those areas better.