playMaker

Author Topic: Oculus Go and Gear VR Controller Actions  (Read 15028 times)

HendrikB

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In love with Playmaker
Re: Oculus Go and Gear VR Controller Actions
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
Hi Hendrik, - that was fast! :D
Thank you very much.
I will give a try with the new rotation action too. I have no projects to use it right now but can be very handy in the future.

No problem :)

I've also updated the rotation and position script. I created a new and improved script that captures all the controller's "physics", which is the easiest way I can describe it. So I am getting its position, velocity, rotation, angular rotation, angular velocity and so on. This is super useful for anyone trying to create throwing actions, or even to calculate how much force was used in a sword slash for damage to an enemy, or just a simple fishing rod throw or grenade throw.

I've added it here on my Github account for everyone to use. Hope it helps :)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HendrikZA/general-playmaker/master/oculus%20go%20and%20gear%20vr/OculusGoPhysics.cs

Cheers,
Hendrik
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:30:58 AM by HendrikB »

HendrikB

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In love with Playmaker
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 05:42:29 PM »
Hi folks,

Here's another action for Oculus Go. This one's job is simple:

• Check if controller rotated left or right with enough acceleration then send event (useful for switching weapons, and brilliant for doing a quick turn in an FPS game. So if the player rotated the controller to the right with a bit more force / acceleration than normal, then send an event. You'll see a similar type of thing in games like Slightly Heroes for quick turns)
  • Check if controller is pointing straight up or straight down (useful for reload actions, like when the player brings the controller up towards the chest to reload, or points down like in many FPS games you see for mobile VR such as Drop Dead)

Again just a simple little action but I'm sure it will be useful to you. I've added sensitivity settings that you can use to tweak a bit as needed.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HendrikZA/general-playmaker/master/oculus%20go%20and%20gear%20vr/OculusGoRotationAndDirection.cs

I will update the Readme file on my Github soon to account for all the extra actions I've been adding. Also I will rename all the actions soon so it makes more sense what each does, so please excuse the naming for now :)

Cheers!
Hendrik
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:31:57 AM by HendrikB »

HendrikB

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In love with Playmaker
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
Hi Oculus Go / Gear VR & Playmaker fans :)

Ok I have posted an update right at the beginning of this post (page 1, first post), with all the Oculus Go / Gear VR actions I have created.

I split the OculusGoButtonDown.cs (previously known as GetVRButtonDown.cs) into lots of smaller actions to make FSM state coding more manageable.

I hope these actions help you to make awesome games. Combined with Playmaker, its so easy to make games for Oculus Go :)

Here is the link to all my latest Oculus Go / Gear VR actions:

https://github.com/HendrikZA/general-playmaker/tree/master/oculus%20go%20and%20gear%20vr

dt1000

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
Very nice job!
Wish I'd found these at the start of my project, rather than the end.
Using them for swipe detection... saved me a day or so of work!
:D

Game will be complete soon!!!

Cheers,
Dan

craigz

• Beta Group
    • Haven Made
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 01:16:31 PM »
HendrikB! :D

Thank you so much for making all of these - I'm crazy impressed :D

Do you happen to know if most of these should work with the Oculus Quest? *fingers crossed*

best,
criagz

HendrikB

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In love with Playmaker
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »
Very nice job!
Wish I'd found these at the start of my project, rather than the end.
Using them for swipe detection... saved me a day or so of work!
:D

Game will be complete soon!!!

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan great job your game is looking really great :-) And I'm really glad that these have helped you with your development! I'm currently using them for a VR platformer/puzzle game and it's just so easy using these actions. Good luck with completing and publishing your game  8)

HendrikB

• Playmaker Newbie
  • In love with Playmaker
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2019, 01:06:41 PM »
HendrikB! :D

Thank you so much for making all of these - I'm crazy impressed :D

Do you happen to know if most of these should work with the Oculus Quest? *fingers crossed*

best,
criagz

Hi Craigz,

Thanks very much, I hope they help you with your projects :) I have been meaning to get Oculus Quest actions completed. I'm not sure if they would work out the box with the Quest just yet, but I will have a look at the documentation and see if I can modify these to work with Quest, and upload them as separate actions specific to the Quest.

I'll try get those out by the end of June with some luck, depending on how hard it will be :)