playMaker

Author Topic: using a tmp obj variable lags out that fsm until deleted.  (Read 1766 times)

westingtyler

• My Video Game Projects Web Site
using a tmp obj variable lags out that fsm until deleted.
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »
Area: Editor
Frequency: Always

1) What happened

here's a video, and in the middle we see a bug I think i reported before (the second bug is shown in the middle, one I think i already reported. it seems to be tied to the Set FSM Variable action somehow.), and toward the end, I show a third bug about state description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4vX7mgYA3s&feature=youtu.be

0:00 bug 1: obj variable lag
5:29 bug 2: Set FSM Variable state bug.
7:14 bug 3: new state description bug.

I created this fsm and was working in it. I added a Set Unity Object, to set the "needed tmp obj variable", to be another pre-designated one. Immediately that FSM became super laggy, and typing any text in states slowed to a crawl. I deleted this action, and the lag went away. I wrote a note in the start state of this template.

Then I tried using a Set FSM variable, with it set to an object, a tmp. Causes the same lag. Then i used a Set Property, which is still present in the template because it's unavoidable, and performance in that fsm has slowed to a crawl.

naming states, or typing in descriptions, types out a single character each second, even after I've pressed all the keys for the whole state name. I have to sit there and wait several seconds for the name of the state to type out.

I've had this problem with many FSMs since the last several months, and it's like even small fsms become laggy super fast, but now I've pinpointed it to this manipulation of a tmp object variable.

and any time I say tmp, I mean text mesh pros, but the 3d object versions, not the UGUI stuff I don't use. I'm still wishing for an update to this action  https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=19225.0 : so I can use it.

i added the tmp objects to the fsm by dragging them into the variables tab.
dialoguebubble_tmp

Unity Info:
Unity Version: 2018.2.4f1
Playmaker Version: 1.9.0.f5
BuildTarget: StandaloneWindows64

System Info:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor
System Memory: 32749
Graphics Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:28:05 PM by westingtyler »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: using a tmp obj variable lags out that fsm until deleted.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:20:16 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this ( you filed a bug report as well right?)

If you try on an empty scene with just one game object with tmp, does it do it still?

Bye,

Jean

westingtyler

• My Video Game Projects Web Site
Re: using a tmp obj variable lags out that fsm until deleted.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:15:26 AM »
In the Submit Bug Report part of Playmaker in unity, the button that says "Submit bug report" has always been greyed out, so I have never been able to do this via Unity itself. i copied the info and pasted it here.

There's a red error thing in the bug report form that says "Unity 2017.1 has a bug that breaks this form. copy this info and email to, yada, yada."

I'm using 2018.2.4f1, though, so that's a little weird.

I just tried to duplicate this in an empty scene with one game object with tmp, and this performance hit did not happen. everything continued to work normally without lag.

Also check out the timestamps in the video, to see the other two bugs listed there in case they need looking into as well.

The making new states with descriptions bug still works in this empty scene.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:21:10 AM by westingtyler »