playMaker

Author Topic: an "input your equation" action?  (Read 3463 times)

Red

an "input your equation" action?
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
I know this would be a beefy action request but it's made me wonder just what can be done.

since there is a great many bits of math that need to be done on various objects, i was wondering if it's possible to have an action where you can feed it variables and then run it through an equation that you input yourself in a field...

i.e. 
Declare # of Values: (int)
Declare Value type: (dropdown)-Value (dropdown for either manual entry or a variable entry)

and a field
"Enter Equation"

i have no idea how hard this would be but it would allow us to do more complex mathematics than what playmaker currently allows methinks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: an "input your equation" action?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:57:10 AM »
Hi,

I so want that too!!!

bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »
I know that there'd be a lot of potential errors that this kind of action could throw though...

but i've come across an equation that would help me to calculate the target for a thrown object (and i could use that equation to determine the appropriate forces to throw said object to the target) but it requires sin, square-roots, deg-to-rad, etc... it's beefy.

though the person that helped with the equation helped me with a script (still figuring out how to integrate it) that does what i need but still, this is an action (the "enter a forumula" one) that i think could really open up the functionality of PM quite a bit.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
hi,

Yes, I don't think that runtime interpretation of complex equations would be ideal...

the best solution here is to either make a dedicated action, or talk with that script somehow.

pm me if you need help integrating your equation into a custom action.

Since june, I took a different approach on complex problem solving in playmaker, especially when bridging existing powerfull frameworks. I now provide a custom wizard to the developer that let him define the needs, and I generate custom actions. the net result is the ability to offer a very rich interface to the developer, resulting in dedicated, to the point custom actions. All of this, without any scripting required for the developer.

I think the key to this would be to simply allow editor time evaluation of an equation, and propose a wizard that creates a custom action for a given equation, exposing the dynamic values properly, AND having the equation burnt into the custom action.

Are you following what I getting at? basically, the user would define the equation during editing, and publish that equation as a custom action. Best of both world really!

bugger... yet another funcky little project...

bye,

Jean