playMaker

Author Topic: Best method to make realistic space physics?  (Read 2330 times)

PlatinumPlayer

• Playmaker Newbie
Best method to make realistic space physics?
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »
A dumb question really, but I have many questions regarding this. First of all I have a small space sandbox project I want to create and I want the physics to be real. Space ships that gain momentum from thrust/force, and must use equal force to slow. Turning a ship mid flight requiring multiple axis of thrust.

Should I use a character controller and if so which one? Or make a rigid body and apply force with fsm aid? I want a movement system mainly for npc's not direct player control. This will be my first attempt at space related 3axis movement, so any input on how to achieve this would be great.

Also since I want mass, velocity, and collision to be aspects of the game ridged bodies are almost guaranteed.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Best method to make realistic space physics?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »
Hi,

No you should not use a character controller. I think you should actually use an existing pathfinding framework, because what you are willing to achieve is something very hard to achieve properly even to experts.

Study what's available on the asset store, there are plenty of pathfinding that I think will fully cover your needs.

bye,

Jean

shinodan

• Shinozone
Re: Best method to make realistic space physics?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »
Jean is right but if was you and about to tackle space I would use rigidbodies and add force, you can change the mass of rigid bodies and use the set gravity action to needed value.