playMaker

Author Topic: Game for smartphone, need advice[SOLVED]  (Read 1818 times)

PolyMad

Game for smartphone, need advice[SOLVED]
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »
I'm starting the development of a new game for smartphone, but maybe I'll make it available for PC as well.
I need advice on how to proceed for the controls: I want the game to be testable on PC first of all, so that I don't need to build it for Android each time to just test developments. So, I'd need to have the same tools that work for touch (like swipe) working for the mouse as well.

I also would like advice about which tool to use for the touch controls.
I will need the standard tap, swipe (with direction), pinch and zoom on Android and IOS.
I see there are few out there, supporting Playmaker, so I can't choose which one.
I would reach 40$ price for a complete tool though.

Also, as I'm off the smartphone world since years, I would like to know which is the best SDK out there to develop for Android and how to deploy on Google Play.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:59:57 AM by jeanfabre »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Game for smartphone, need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:37 AM »
Hi.
Rewired is one of the best so far.

It is a bit intimidating to use at first, but i do think it is one of the best ones out there that has PM support

for the SDK i am not sure which would be the best, its been a while for me also to make something on mobile.

PolyMad

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:07:42 AM »
Thank you, Dino, I'll check it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:21:34 AM »
Hi,

when you are not sure about the platform target, make sure you always:

- Support ALL screensize, use the Canvas Scaler component for this ( in mode scale with screen size, with 0.5 as the match value, it's a good base)
- Support both mouse and touch input
- Make sure you use regular shaders and/or have a way to switch between mobile friendly option or full blown hard core gamer pc spec
- Always test both on pc and mobile to avoid detecting issues too late and not be able to address it straight away
- profile often to make sure your specs are fine and within the norm.

if you don't do the above, you will be out of luck if late in the development you decide to go for mobile. however, if you solely develop for mobile, going back to pc is ok, if mouse was taken in consideration.

so yes, starting with mobile dev in mind is a safer approach than the opposite.

Bye,

Jean

PolyMad

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »
OK, thank you!