playMaker

Author Topic: Error on consoles, PlayMaker window doesn't show up after install [SOLVED]  (Read 3346 times)

sena

• Playmaker Newbie
Unity Version : 2019.3.0a5 (personal license because I'm just a graduate student)
> I downloaded the .zip and unpacked
> I import the package from Unity by Assets > Import Assets. Unity5.4.Playmaker.1.9.0.p16
> I then click Install PlayMaker from the pop-up window.

There are 10 error messages I received, and I cannot see the PlayMaker FSM Editor.

Here are the error messages, separated by space

Some scripts have compilation errors which may prevent obsolete API usages to get updated. Obsolete API updating will continue automatically after these errors get fixed.

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\GUIElement\SetGUIText.cs(14,15): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUIText' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'ComponentAction<T>'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUIText' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\GUIElement\SetGUITexture.cs(14,15): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'ComponentAction<T>'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\GUIElement\SetGUITextureAlpha.cs(14,15): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'ComponentAction<T>'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\GUIElement\SetGUITextureColor.cs(14,15): error CS0311: The type 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'ComponentAction<T>'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' to 'UnityEngine.Component'.

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\ComponentAction.cs(65,19): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\ComponentAction.cs(70,19): error CS0619: 'GUITexture' is obsolete: 'GUITexture has been removed. Use UI.Image instead.'

Some scripts have compilation errors which may prevent obsolete API usages to get updated. Obsolete API updating will continue automatically after these errors get fixed.

Exception thrown while invoking [OnOpenAssetAttribute] method 'Unity.CodeEditor.CodeEditor:OnOpenAsset (int,int,int)' : InvalidOperationException: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () (at <d465e2b2e5054d2787d6364114c43446>:0)
(wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
UnityEditor.DefaultExternalCodeEditor.OpenProject (System.String path, System.Int32 line, System.Int32 column) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/CodeEditor/DefaultExternalCodeEditor.cs:96)
Unity.CodeEditor.CodeEditor.OnOpenAsset (System.Int32 instanceID, System.Int32 line, System.Int32 column) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/CodeEditor/CodeEditor.cs:62)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

InvalidOperationException: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () (at <d465e2b2e5054d2787d6364114c43446>:0)
(wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
UnityEditor.DefaultExternalCodeEditor.OpenProject (System.String path, System.Int32 line, System.Int32 column) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/CodeEditor/DefaultExternalCodeEditor.cs:96)
Unity.CodeEditor.CodeEditor.OpenFileAtLineColumn (System.String path, System.Int32 line, System.Int32 column) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/CodeEditor/CodeEditor.cs:31)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I also attach the screenshot of my "Playmaker" in the menu bar
I am sorry I am an artist so I am very new and have almost zero idea on programming and these kind of stuff..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:13:43 PM by Alex Chouls »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
It looks like the 2019.3 alpha has removed support for the old GUI Element system. You can try deleting the PlayMaker/Actions/GuiElement folder to fix the errors.

Note, it’s better to use an official Unity release instead of a beta or alpha version. We cannot guarantee compatibility with alpha and beta versions since they are not stable yet. Alpha versions especially can change with each release. We try to fix issues as they come up so you can use PlayMaker with the new features Unity introduces in alpha/beta versions, but there might be some lag...

At the same time it’s good to get reports about issues with alpha/beta versions, so thanks for letting us know about this!

milad132

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi,

I am getting these two error messages:

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\ComponentAction.cs(65,19): error CS0619: 'GUIText' is obsolete: 'GUIText has been removed. Use UI.Text instead.'

Assets\PlayMaker\Actions\ComponentAction.cs(70,19): error CS0619: 'GUITexture' is obsolete: 'GUITexture has been removed. Use UI.Image instead.'

I have tried the following Unity versions:

2019.4.17f1
2019.4.21f1
2020.3.0f1

Can this be because all 3 versions are in alpha/beta?

I have also tried to delete the GUI Element folder. I actually had 6 errors before, so 4 of them were resolved, but the 2 above remain.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
When Unity 2019.3 was released we added a 2019.3 build of PlayMaker to the Asset Store and the Hutong Game Store download.

If you're downloading from our store, please be sure to import the package starting with Unity2019.3 when using Unity2019.3 or higher (E.g., Unity2019.3.Playmaker.1.9.1.p4.unitypackage).

If your zip doesn't include this package, use your original download link to download it again. If you've lost your original download link, email us with info that we can use to find your order and we'll re-send the link.

If you're importing from the Unity Asset Store, please be aware that there are bugs where the Asset Store/Package Manager can install the wrong version of PlayMaker for the version of Unity you're using. See this thread for more info:
https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=23476.0

Let me know if this helps.

milad132

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response.

So I went to my cache and deleted Playmaker and then re-downloaded and imported version 1.9.1.p4 of playmaker into my 2020.3.0f1 version of Unity. Upon doing so, my errors went up to 90.

I then closed and re-opened Unity as I had missed that step, and the 88 new errors disappeared, but the 2 that I originally have struggled with are still here.

So the current situation is the same as before, but I am now in the versions of Unity and Playmaker I have listed above.

I look forward to your response.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
I just tried it here and it worked fine in 2020.3. It sounds like you still have an old version.

Did you re-download PlayMaker while running Unity 2020.3?

The AssetStore/Package Manager bug means it fails to detect when you change Unity versions, so if you download an asset using an older version of Unity then switch to a newer version of Unity it doesn't automatically update the asset.

milad132

• Playmaker Newbie
It's still not working... let me try and explain everything step by step, as I wonder if I am taking a wrong step somewhere.

Also, it's worth me adding that this particular project of mine was previously in Unity 2018. I have another project I am working on that I updated from 2019 to 2020 and I have had no problems.

So back to the project where I am having issues (which I have now updated to 2020.3.1f1):
1 ) Given that I am using a Mac, I have gone to Library/Unity/Asset Store-5.x and deleted the folder called "Hutong Games LLC"
2 ) I have opened Unity Hub from scratch
3 ) I have then opened my project in Unity 2020.3.1f1
4 ) As the Asset Store is no longer accessible directly within Unity, I have gone to Window/Package Manager
5 ) I have pressed "Download", which re-downloads Playmaker
6 ) I have pressed the "Import" button, which tells me "Nothing to Import"
7 ) I have closed my project and Unity Hub
8 ) I have re-opened Unity Hub and then my project, but the two errors regarding GUIText and GUITexture being obsolete are still present.

Let me know if you would like to explore any of the steps I have taken further

Thanks for your time so far in helping me get to the bottom of this.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
Ok, that helps, I didn't realize you were updating an existing project.

Normally you would complete the install using the PlayMaker Welcome Window, but since the project has errors it might not open.

You can try opening the Welcome Window from the PlayMaker menu and select Install.

Or you can install PlayMaker manually:
Main Menu > Assets > Import Package > Custom Package
Assets\PlayMaker\Editor\Install\Playmaker1.9.1.unitypackage

More details here:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/f/page?W11

Let me know if that helps!

Updating both Unity and PlayMaker at the same time can be tricky since at some point in the update the project might have errors. I'll add a wiki page for this specific scenario.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:40:28 PM by Alex Chouls »

milad132

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi Alex,

I am not sure why but despite importing Playmaker from the Package Manager, Playmaker was not actually installed (maybe that is how it is meant to be). For example the Welcome Window wasn't showing, but that wasn't because of the errors. Maybe this is another bug.

The good news though is that I followed your advice and installed it manually, which worked! The only small hurdle I had to overcome was deleting the Clamp Rotation action. For some reason Unity said I already had it, and thus regarded this as a duplicate. In any case, all those errors are now gone and the project is working!

There are a few things for me to look into, such as the lighting being impacted (maybe due to the new Unity versions adjusting lighting) and some new errors popping up during gameplay, but for now I don't think these are related to this thread, and I will try and resolve them myself.

Thank you for your help!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 05:50:49 PM by milad132 »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
Glad you got it sorted!

Yeah, the two step installation is normal. It gives the Welcome Screen a chance to scan for conflicts before you install the latest version. I think it may only show automatically if the PlayMaker version number has changed. It should probably also show if the Unity version has changed. I'll look into that.