playMaker

Author Topic: How do you manage templates and your FSM library?  (Read 1112 times)

Thore

How do you manage templates and your FSM library?
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:13:23 AM »
I'm looking for some tips on how to manage templates or more generally a library of FSMs without cluttering up the project?

In the past, I've made a couple of useful mechanics that are now scattered over old projects. I also have several versions of the same mechanic (with different features). It would be great to have that ready and useable, but unlike scripts, FSMs cannot be simply saved away somewhere. It seems, they need to be templates, or put on prefabs to ferry them over to other projects. But I don't want to clutter the template browser with all sorts of FSMs, and not know which are in use. I know there's the FSM selection above the graph, it's a bit unclear how it works exactly. It's also unclear how to organize FSM dependencies (one or several FSMs that rely on other FSMs). And finally, FSMs (like scripts) often need to keep their exact name, but since you cannot save it away somewhere, it creates the problem of potentially several similarily named FSMs.

How do you do it?  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:16:31 AM by Thore »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: How do you manage templates and your FSM library?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 04:57:40 AM »
Hi,

This would be the same problem for any other binary assets, such as Animations, Prefabs, etc etc.

I usually use categories for my fsm templates, so that they are nicely organized in popups. then, inside the Assets folder, I have always this for client projects:

Assets/App/PlayMaker/Templates/[Category]/[all templates]

what's important is that if you decide to go with a certain way of organizing, you stick to it so that it becomes natural.

Then, On content I want to share amongst many projects, I use Github submodules

submodules are best setup to be rooting at the Assets level, The PlayMaker Utils is a submodule on all my ecosystem github projects.

then when I am in one project, and I make a new template that is reusable, I put it into this submodule, and right from within this rep, I can access the submodule, commit and push that new template, and on other projects, I can pull from that submodule.

that's how I can keep common things in one place only, yet spreaded in multiple projects on my computer or working teams.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
Hi.
I always use a folder outside the Playmaker folder, but the rest i do the same as jean.

also i use the 'Category' on the template object and there also use a slash for subcategories (for example Player/Behavior)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »
Hi,

Right, yes, I never save templates in PlayMaker folder neither, and you should also move the PlayMakerGlobals asset out of the PlayMaker folder too, just in case.

Bye,

Jean