playMaker

Author Topic: UFPS Review !!??  (Read 3862 times)

heavygunner

UFPS Review !!??
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »
Hello !

I am planning to buy UFPS / Ultimate Character Controller.
It says it support playMaker.

Anyone used that asset? Can a FPS game made without coding ?

Thanks

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: UFPS Review !!??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
Hi.
A while ago i had to make some custom movement which was a pain in the *** to do (climb ladder and stand on higher platform when top reached and also climb down from top).
And due to lack of documentation and support we could not get it to work correctly.
(in c# btw as this could not be done with actions)

Maybe by now it has already the movement that we where trying to create.

I only used a few playmaker actions, and they worked fine.

You are limited to what it can do and it also has a learning curve, to set everything up the way you want.

But the things it can do look good and when you get the hang of the way it works, it can speed up creating an fps.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
Lol, I started to type my reply and then decided not to post. Then I saw djaydino's. I own both version 1 of opsive third person controller and now version 2 of UCC (contains both FPS and Third Person).

I gave up on it this past week after fighting it for so so long. What was my main problems? Movements. Even setting up a special condition where the character turned for me to face something (without keyboard inputs) was a nightmare. And I consider myself an intermediate coder (for unity) at this point. I wasted so much time using its 'state' system. (Give me my time back!!).

That being said, I didnt use it for FPS.

What is does include is a lot out of the box. Gun systems, inventory systems, screen displays, health systems, etc etc. If you want to use the things they have, they work great. If you want to extend it, it was hard (IMHO).

It does take awhile to get everything running and you need to watch the short tutorial videos very carefully. Again, IMO, it works and has a TON of options. But it has a TON of options, so it can be hard to get it to work  ;D

If you wanted third person, I would suggest instead game creator (shooter module should be out in the next month). But for first person, not sure what is better?

Playmaker integration is pretty basic. But they try and contain all the logic needed within UCC. The owner is super busy so dont expect them to make any new actions on request. (Again, in my experience).

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:58 AM »
Hi.
The owner is super busy so don't expect them to make any new actions on request. (Again, in my experience).
I have to 2nd that.

We did not get much help from the owner, but we did get some help from other users on their discord channel.