playMaker

Author Topic: Moving from 'uGUI proxy' to the natively integrated Unity's UI (PM 1.9+)  (Read 1558 times)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Hi,

I used a lot of actions working with Playmaker's uGUi proxy package. It had a Playmaker uGUI folder in Assets but is now gone since 1.9.
Also PM doesn't add the usual uGUI Game Object to manage this into the scene.
The console throws me tons of errors, many related to references to the old asset.

Is there a tool that cleanly replaces all "legacy" actions with the new UI ones or do I have to do it manually?

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
I found this thread.

The integrated support is designed to work side by side with the old add-on. So, for example, if you have an old project already using the add-on you can keep using it. But if you’re starting a new project I would start without it, to keep the project a little cleaner, and only add it if needed.

Logically there should never be any errors.
So based on experience, does anyone have any idea why I am inundated with errors telling me all uGUI related actions can't find their scripts any longer? I thought it would be due to a conflict but none is supposed to happen.
So, could it be a problem with GUIDs? How can I restore paths (and my faith in Playmaker)?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Hi.
Maybe you accidentally removed something essential from the ugui package.

You can still get ugui package directly from github

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: Moving from 'uGUI proxy' to the natively integrated Unity's UI (PM 1.9+)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
Thank you for sharing this link.

It actually took me many attempts to find the one method that would finally allow me to enjoy a rather clean installation.
I kept making backups of the project during the construction phase, each archive being a validation of project.

I knew the hard part would be in making Playmaker uGUI work without throwing errors, and having the main scene working without so many actions losing their scripts.

Thus far I keep hitting a wall because after installing the full uGUIproxy package found in the UI Master ... Ecosystem/ folder, I get 26 errors all related to LogFullPathToAction.
Such as:

Assets/PlayMaker ArrayMaker/Addons/Custom/Table/Actions/ArrayTableGetItem.cs(92,62): error CS0117: 'PlayMakerUtils' does not contain a definition for 'LogFullPathToAction'

Once this will be cleared, I'll move to the next and equally problematic case of avoiding certain actions becoming "missing actions". It took me a while to find the right parameters for some of them and I just can't afford having to rebuild and retune entire parts of the project.
I did all of this in order to have a ideally perfect setup for my scene to precisely not to have to look for scripts, always working with an empty scene first.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »
Hi.
Try updating PlayMakerUtils

You can get it on the Ecosystem

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 12:43:37 PM »
That's odd because I have the version from the package. I installed the full version one, just to be sure, although it should only concerns the extra actions that make a difference with the 'normal' package.

The package isn't available on the Ecosystem.
I tried PlayMakerUtils, Utils, utils, util, etc.

Do you know where this LogPath thingy is located and defined? Maybe there is a conflict between two scripts and therefore it cannot be properly defined...

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »
In fact all problematic actions are "Array Table" + something. Never heard of those before: Playmaker Arraymaker/ Addons/ Custom/ Table/ Actions
I think it's one of Jean's little monsters he did some experiments on in his underground lab and he forgot about them.
Plus those "master" packs contain a number of scripts using obsolete crap that Unity threw away more than a year ago.
I just deleted these annoying Array Table actions and my life improved.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:53 AM »
It was messier than a I thought, the globals tool failed to work, some superfluous scripts needed to be deleted and I took the opportunity to purge the project of other old elements that were hardly useful.
I'm still on uGUI though. There's no miracle really. Short of going through all uGUI actions and swapping them for UI ones, and then checking that the transition produces a correct output, I'm still stuck with the old proxy. Not that it's a big problem because as said in the quotation found above, it's not supposed to be a problem (minus the torrent of tweaking needed for that migration).
Maybe if I really have some time to waste (I doubt that) I may refactor to the project as to make it truly 1.9 ready.
However I'm still encountering that odd bug that f**** up with my color scheme in Preferences and makes them darker than they should be.
But to use my old prefs I had to copy the file from PM 1.8.4 (alongside the Globals file).