playMaker

Author Topic: Greetings All!  (Read 3278 times)

Netjera

• Playmaker Newbie
Greetings All!
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
I apologize.  Guess I should've done this days ago, lol.

I'm Netjera, a disabled accountant turned artist/indy from America.  I'm female.  (No I won't tell you my age, lol, you'll have to guess!)

I'm working on an old fashioned point and click adventure, and I was originally creating it in AdventureMaker because my first look at Unity a couple of years ago convinced me it was too hard for someone with very little programming.  (Now with Playmaker, that's not an issue any more!  Yay!)

I have a personal website at www.netjera.com and a game website at www.netjersoft.com, but they're both limping along because I am not a web developer by any stretch of the imagination, lol.  Takes me forever to get anything done on that end.  Still, feel free to drop by and say hi!

I'm also pretty active in the Daz3d community, and know a fair bit about their licensing requirements, their usage terms, and their products, if anyone is interested.  They've recently been making a bigger push into game development, and have created special licenses and tools for people who wish to use their 3d models in games.

I did have a question, if anyone can answer it, please?  What is the difference between an action and a prefab?  I've been putting stuff into prefabs with the intention of sharing them in case they'd help anyone else, but as I'm going along, I'm having multiple problems and I'm wondering if it's because I don't fully understand the differences between them.  Thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Greetings All!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:46:12 AM »
Hi,

an action and a prefab are two very distinct feature.

an action, is a playmaker "building block" that performs a very specific tasks. A state is made out of actions.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W174

A Prefab is a Unity thing, not related to playmaker. Prefab are reusable bunch of gameObjects. They are defined in the project, and can be instantiated in any scenes of that project. A prefab can contains playmaker components of course.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Prefabs.html

does that clarify things a bit?

bye,

jean