playMaker

Author Topic: ULink Support?  (Read 4355 times)

tich

• Playmaker Newbie
ULink Support?
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »
was wondering if playmaker sopports ULink networkimg out of the box?

or how difficult can it be adding it ourselves

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: ULink Support?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:05 AM »
Hi,

You should study how photon was integrated. You'll need to write a series of actions as well as a proxy or "bridge" to hook to uLink messages and make them as Events within playmaker. for variable synching, you can query the networkSync value of each Fsm Variable so you can write helpers and tools to properly set it up either when the scene starts or during editing.

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=1390.0

If you are ok with scripting, it will be no problem, else I would then strongly recommend using that photon integration. If you have an existing project to port, pm me, and we'll see what's possible.

bye,

Jean

tich

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
thank you jean,

i really have no clue on what to do to make playmaker work with ulink,

so far am studying ulink cuz is the network backend I would like to use as authoritative server for a multiplayer rpg, plus the physics support mainly.

I see what i can come up with, but dont think i can actually do it.

but ill try.

thanks again.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:48 AM »
Hi,

Yes, If you don't have a good basis both on networking and scripting, you will likely struggle to create a bridge for playmaker. But like I said, it would be something very, very similar to the photon proxy I created, so I would strongly advice that you study how it was done ( not that this is the only or best way to do it... but at least a starting point that works)

bye,

Jean

aidinabedi

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24:16 AM »
Hello!

I'm Aidin from MuchDifferent, one of the main developers of uLink. Perhaps I can be of assistance, if you haven't already done the bridge.

Cheers,

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:11:59 AM »
Hi,

I haven't got any spare time at the moment to have a look at this, because the task is quite important, and the development process a lot more involving then creating few playmaker actions, especially the synchronisation stream and its optimisation with playmaker variables.

My main worries with Ulink is the server side. Photon for example has this amazing cloud system that really ease multi player developments, especially in the PlayMaker context where developers have most of the time very little experience with actual scripting, meaning, they are unlikely to run and maintain a multi user server, I think this will create a lot of frustration down the road. It might be possible with Ulink, but I am not sure how.

If nothing comes up before mid september, get back to me, and we'll see what's possible.

bye,

Jean