playMaker

Author Topic: New to Playmaker  (Read 1219 times)

design@playbox.tech

• Playmaker Newbie
New to Playmaker
« on: October 24, 2019, 06:21:01 PM »
Hi all,
Just recently got PlayMaker due to the Humble Bundle Unity 2019 pack. Really excited to teach myself how to use it. Do have a couple of questions though:
  • Can you create / modify / test with an array variable in PlayMaker?
  • Can PlayMaker talk to other assets ie: Gaia, etc to change things?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: New to Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 06:35:35 PM »
Hi.
Welcome.

You have build in array actions and also a more advanced array system called Array Maker.
Array Maker you can find on the Ecosystem along with many other custom actions/packages.

For other assets, you can use Get/Set properties action (you can drag/drop a component to select the actions as well)

But you should minimize using this as it uses mirroring and is slower than dedicated actions.

There are many asset on the store that support PlayMaker and have dedicated actions.

Thore

Re: New to Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »
Welcome.

edit: Djaydino beat me to it ;)

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

You can peruse and search the actions in the action browser to get an idea what kind of stuff exists. They usually cover the most common cases. Next, PlayMaker has a few addons (for free), of which Ecosystem is the most important. It allows to easily search and download additional actions for more specific purposes. Lastly, you can find tons of actions through this forum, and if you still miss something, there’s sub-forum where you can ask nicely if someone writes or adapts the action you need.

For arrays, there are also add-ons like ArrayMaker, too (but first check regular actions).

PlayMaker uses regular c# scripts with some wrap, and as such, it is compatible with everything else that can be controlled with scripts. As I wrote above, popular assets might be covered already, and you can ask for actions.

There are also actions like Get Property and Set Property that can more generally communicate with scripts. Try to drag and drop a script into the action area.

Last but not least, you can write your own custom actions (see my sig). Stuff like setting variables or reading them is not that difficult but super worth starting with. It’s also a good gateway to scripting yourself (PlayMaker stays useful even if you can code).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:02:07 PM by Thore »