playMaker

Author Topic: recommend easiest way to sync variables/send PM events over a LAN?  (Read 2735 times)

wetcircuit

• wetcircuit.com
I build interactives and media installations (1-off projects, not commercial games)

I'd like to send variables/strings and playmaker events across a local network to another device – specific examples:

1: a Unity project running on a computer/AppleTV where 1 or more players can interact via their phone/tablet on the same network.
2: trigger/sync several devices from a master controller.

I'm looking for the lightest/easiest way to do this, without 3rd-party servers or coding. I feel that Unity's multiplayer/lobby/mmo systems are too much, since there will be no random "players" logging in, just known devices. Projects need to stay on the LAN and not require outside internet access.

I need to send full text strings, as well as simple variables and event triggers.

Thank you, any advice is appreciated.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: recommend easiest way to sync variables/send PM events over a LAN?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 02:35:22 AM »
Hi,

I bumped into this problem and unfortunatly, there is only one solution I know off, without the need for a genius in socket dev...

http://surge.pixelplacement.com/communication.html

This solution works, I am using succesfully, but it's not playmaker based... Can you do some simple c#?

Also, the BIG issue with this is that it is using Unity networking and it's sooo bad for perfs... your pc heat fan will kick in immediatly... so if you plan on using this, make sure you get a proper set of good machines, with good ventilations.

Bye,

Jean

wetcircuit

• wetcircuit.com
Re: recommend easiest way to sync variables/send PM events over a LAN?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »
Thank you! I will try it and see how far I get with my feeble coding skills.

Can't beat the price of FREE  ;D