playMaker

Author Topic: Build and Run: breaking scripts?[SOLVED]  (Read 1708 times)

Red

Build and Run: breaking scripts?[SOLVED]
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
Or at the least, when i run it as a standalone (to test) it's not behaving the same as in the preview window.

the specifics of this one is a damage indicator that i've been working on that has to fetch using the get/set fsm actions and it's not passing the information at all... i've tried adding in next-frame events and wait events to give it time to catch up but it's still not doing it...

the process is as follows.

target gets hit.
bullet tells target how much damage it's recieved
target creates damage indicator element
target passes damage recieved to indicator <--- this is the part that's not behaving.
indicator changes 3d text with set property to the value recieved
indicator animates (rises over time)
when indicator is done, it self destructs (to keep the scene clean.)

it's really odd, it works perfectly fine and as i want it to work while in the preview window but when i test using the build and run in unity, it's not passing the information over (it's locked.)

some help would be greatly appreciated... i don't know how i can troubleshoot this issue. and no, there are no error warnings being shown.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:54:03 AM by jeanfabre »

Red

Re: Build and Run: breaking scripts?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
Okay, so as suggested by someone on a different site, i've made sure to be running the most up-to-date version of Unity (3.5.5) and Playmaker... the issue also was solved by the placement of the actions while in the system.

the error seemed to be that the first state where i was putting the "convert float to string" action to give to the text's text property wasn't clicking over fast enough and as such, the value wasn't being converted properly. i've moved that action into the next one in line (the one that controls the rising animation) and told it to do it every frame seems to have solved it.

so, i guess that's solved it. so, i guess lesson learned... when Unity tells you it's out of date, update it whenever possible (and back up your work of course.)