playMaker

Author Topic: Quick Game Prototype  (Read 12304 times)

Satrio

• Junior Playmaker
Quick Game Prototype
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »
Made this over the weekend, after buying playmaker. Really enjoy making stuff with it.

Hope to develop this game further..

I call it "Dungeon Memory" its a memorygame with a twist..

http://www.successfulhero.com/UnityDM/WebPlayer.html

Enjoy!

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Quick Game Prototype
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
I like it!

Q

Satrio

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
I have updated the Dungeon Memory game a bit!

Activating "Chests" will now give you a random bonus item in addition till your gold, either +10 torch or 1-6 extra hitpoints.

Activating the "doors" will now give you 3 options: continue on the same level, retire and make the highscore list or continue on to the next level.

At the moment each level has the same layout, brick types etc.

Highscores are not saved to "disk", they are only active while playing. Reload the game and highscores are reset.

I have a lot of ideas on how to expand on this game, although I have no funding whatsoever yet, so updates will be sporadic.

Gui stuff will be updated once the improved gui edit functions are out for Unity 3.5. Dont feel like venturing into GUI-land before I see what it can do.

Same link as the first post!

MaDDoX

• 1.2 Beta
    • FluidPlay Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Cool design and art, gratz :)
--
Breno "MaDDoX" Azevedo
@brenoazevedo

eturnip

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
nice work. Pretty hard too. My only crit would be that the animations seem a little slow. fun though.

Robert Foster

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
hi i need some tips on how you made this game in a week i just want to know  :)

CreativeSpark

• Playmaker Newbie
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
Very cool game, especially if you made it over the weekend.  :)

ShawnMcCool

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
It's cute, I actually played a board to completion. 

AlanSmithee

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »
Made this over the weekend, after buying playmaker. Really enjoy making stuff with it.

Hope to develop this game further..

I call it "Dungeon Memory" its a memorygame with a twist..

http://www.successfulhero.com/UnityDM/WebPlayer.html

Enjoy!

Very well made game, looks very polished you should find some oneto help you to get it in the appstore or market.

I would love to see youre Unity file how you set it all up, but i guess youre not going to let that cat out off the bag :)

Satrio

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:24:04 AM »
Well its really messy, so I´m not sure it would be easy to figure out what is happening..
It was my first playmaker project, so I bet I can structure it better.

Will revisit it soon and optimize it a bit.

bloggins

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:57:54 AM »
what a great game. The style, textures and 3D execution are flawless.
it kind of reminds me of "puzzle quest" - a RPG style game, but with puzzle game mechanics. Fun and simple, but feels deep.
this was completely made with Playmaker? How did you go about getting the skills to make this using Playmaker? Did you watch a bunch of tutorials?

-Ben

Satrio

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
Hi Bloggins!
Thanks for your feedback on Dungeon Memory!
Yes all is made with Playmaker, but I think my lack of programming skills actually made me try stuff that probably isnt the "right" way to do state machines.

Weirdly enough Playmaker flows are how I like to think about programming naturally. To put this into a common 3D perspective, I used to be a Lightwave3D user and moved over to Softimage XSi because those programs work as I think about 3D. Usually when I try something in XSi it just works for me.  I have done productions with Max and Maya, but the seem awkward to me and I am very irritated that you have to think "wrong" to get stuff working. Playmaker usually just works like i visualize it.

There are some things that a real programmer can do that I cant do fast enough with playmaker and I will probably try to integrate C# eventually. But Im to lazy to get into "real" scripting. I like rapid prototyping and making artwork.

The problems I have atm is with syncing different Statemachines in the game. Sometimes one state collects a value in a variable at the same time or before another statemachines sets it, which can lead to unpredictable results. Usually I litter problem areas with "wait" ops which just slows down everything. Also some basic tools like "sorting" or handling lists can be really time consuming to build. So most of the components to do stuff is there, but I would like someone to create some "tool compounds", small blocks of operators that just does a small thing really fast. Much like the XSI community does with ICE at the moment.

The idea of Dungeon Memory was an exercise in taking one of the most boring games in the world and try to add some new life to it. Rules are simple, everybody has probably played Memory at least once in their life.
As a prototype it works and one can feel that there is a good game in there somewhere. Problem now is to iterate and refine it. I will be revisiting it this summer and hopefully be a bit more organized in my approach.

/s

TheRagMan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
Hi! gratz your game is nice,polish and fresh.

"The idea of Dungeon Memory was an exercise in taking one of the most boring games in the world and try to add some new life to it."
 good job.

I believe in your statement ,dont give up with this project is not just an exercise,it's good, just add some fresh hot stuff, armor,weapons,combo you know...fat him,keep it simple, give to him a girl touch , turn it for mobile and finally shut up and take our money. :)

Bugs:
- I've lost(damn mage) and it frozen on new generated board.
- you can have negative torches

my two cents,Best regards

Satrio

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 05:37:12 AM »
Thanks for your kind words regarding Dungeon Memory!

I´m currently working on a update. The story with the first version was to keep my mind busy while doing chemo due to cancer. After I was declared well, I kind of left the project alone due to other stuff. Now they have found a new tumor in my liver and I am doing chemo again, so I have been revisiting my old friend Dungeon Memory a little bit.

I am trying to get into Arraymaker to make level editing and loading easier but I havent really worked out how i could use them. Maybe I need to build a level editor that exports into XML or similar then have arraymaker read this.. i dont know yet..

I mostly worked on graphics and Interface with the free version of NGUI, which I will buy when I start release alphas.

I also wanted to include a "Town portal shop" so a player can access a shop to sell torch for hitpoints or lower hitpoints limits for more torch and so on. It complicates the game a bit and a Probably I will leave that for an update or for later in the game. Can be cool to finish a lot of levels and suddenly the game grows more complex..

My goal is to make the game with a set number of levels (100) but different challenges for each level, like "kill all rats for an healthpotion" or "finish this level in less than 15 turns for a +1 healthlimit boost"

Also I figure using hashtables might get the board to set up faster. The old version that you can play sometimes takes a very long time to set up the Bricks, because the randomization still tries to pick Bricks that are already all on the board. When there is only one brick left, it only gives 1 chance in 8 to pick that final brick. And If I add more Bricks the setup will take even longer.

I still havent realy gotten my head around this Arraymaker thing, but I know my answer lies there, so I will just lurk the arraymaker thread for info.

Here is a preview on what I have done so far:
A fat Logo

A Shop that works, you have 10000 gold to test with. First thing I made with NGUI and PM. Made in two days, with nausea breaks ;)

Quest is just static atm

No actual gameplay yet.

Button "Legend" will hold information about what the bricks do, but they only appear after you actually clicked found them. Also I will have a "tooltip" for each button and brick that can be disabled and enabled.

"Menu" will old options like save, retire, tooltips on/off, Music and sound settings etc

I think of simplyfing the game in the beginning and start with a fewer set of Bricks, maybe 4x4 to get
people comfortable and make it easy to get into, then introduce more bricks and more monsters, bosses.

The "Potion" and "Keys" button are there to try if one should be able to decide when to use a key or potion.
It is evil to get a potion if you have full health and have it consumed to no effect.

And a link to the cuurent "alpha" in iPhone standing format
www.successfulhero.com/UnityDM/Alpha001/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html