playMaker

Author Topic: Is Playmaker right for me?  (Read 1114 times)

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
Is Playmaker right for me?
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
Hi all. Total newbie here. I don't know any coding.

I have been researching Playmaker and other visual coding tools. I am still not totally clear on Playmaker's limitations and I was wondering if anyone could help.

I am trying to create a 2d "bullet hell" type game with an emphasis on dodging enemies and terrain. The conceit of the game is that everything in the level, from the scrolling/movement of the screen to the appearance and movement of enemies, is in sync with a non-looping music track. If you can survive to the end of the track, you pass the level. The movements of the player are NOT in sync with the music and are unrestricted. The player freely flies around and dodges things. So although it's music-based, it's not really a rhythm game as far as player movement is concerned.

Is it possible to create the game I described above using Playmaker? If not, what else do I need?

Thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Is Playmaker right for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:18:18 AM »
Hi,

yes, PlayMaker doesn't constrain you into building a specific type of game or project.

there is a shmup tutorial for example: https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=13243.msg61655#msg61655

check out rick Henderson game, it's made with playmaker:

https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=15399.msg88712#msg88712

and the author is very active on this forum.

all in all, you should also embrace the asset store amazing content, it will help you cut down the cost and speed up production, so always make sure that you don't reinvent the wheel, chances are some of the features already exists so you can concentrate on the uniqueness of you game.

Bye,

Jean

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Is Playmaker right for me?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »
Thanks Jean! I'm very excited to start :)