playMaker

Author Topic: Animator help?[SOLVED]  (Read 1979 times)

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
Animator help?[SOLVED]
« on: February 04, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »
OK guys. It's me again.

I don't understand Animator at all. I have been fussing with it for a while, and I am getting weird results. I am not able to find any decent documentation or tutorials for this online.

I am full of questions and very confused.

For instance, in the Animator component, what is "Avatar"?
How does the Animator window interact with the FSM window?
Why are there two separate visual charts for each?
I just don't get it.

Does anyone have good resources/videos? I'm working in 2D if that matters.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:56:54 AM by jeanfabre »

Stain Corb

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Animator help?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »
Hi Haserhud.

So what I can tell you.

1-Avatar = Would be The name of your character and its skeleton set, Basically when you import a new Fbx character and set animation type to Generic or Humanoid it will automatically create An avatar  Automatically.
So for instance you Import your FBX char in Tpose, then import 30 different FBX each with different animations, you can pull these animations out and add it to your existing Tpose character. This avatar can be put into any of the different Animation you loaded since the Char and its skeleton are exactly the same.

2-The animator window can interact with the FSM by different methods, I use one that is called AnimatorStateScincronize that, will change your FSM state depending on what Animator state it is in, They Sinc by having same name.
I prefer at this point using FSM to control the Animator with the AnimatorCrosfade, or Set AnimatorBool to turn Animator animations with bools.

3-What 2 seperate charts ?

4-Please any one can correct me if I am wrong.

5-There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, sometimes its hard not knowing what you need or what to look for.

Try
Unity animator controller, to understand how the basic works.

This how far I can help you I work entirely in 3d.

Sorry for any misspelling.

Stain Corb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
Its split into Layers and Parameters.

1-Layers = This is where you have all your animation tree set up, or you different layers, You use Layers, for dividing your avatar in different parts, Say, Legs, is one layer , the rest of your char is a different layer, then you can have one different animation play per layer, Walk+Aim, etc.

2-Parameters would be the conditions to drive your animations, this is where you can add the bools, So if BoolWalk is true then = play Walk Animation, Etc..

You can just play all animation using FSM it will be quiker this way and less redundant Using AnimatorCrosfade.

I hope I helped some way.

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »
Hi Haserhud.

So what I can tell you.

1-Avatar = Would be The name of your character and its skeleton set, Basically when you import a new Fbx character and set animation type to Generic or Humanoid it will automatically create An avatar  Automatically.
So for instance you Import your FBX char in Tpose, then import 30 different FBX each with different animations, you can pull these animations out and add it to your existing Tpose character. This avatar can be put into any of the different Animation you loaded since the Char and its skeleton are exactly the same.

2-The animator window can interact with the FSM by different methods, I use one that is called AnimatorStateScincronize that, will change your FSM state depending on what Animator state it is in, They Sinc by having same name.
I prefer at this point using FSM to control the Animator with the AnimatorCrosfade, or Set AnimatorBool to turn Animator animations with bools.

3-What 2 seperate charts ?

4-Please any one can correct me if I am wrong.

5-There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, sometimes its hard not knowing what you need or what to look for.

Try
Unity animator controller, to understand how the basic works.

This how far I can help you I work entirely in 3d.

Sorry for any misspelling.

Thanks for the info! I already have the sync script.

Do I have to have an avatar attached?

All I'm trying to do is make a circle (which is the player) shrink in size when a button is pressed, and then unshrink when the button is released. I tried to do it through the Animation tab and an FSM with "PlayAnimation" states, but I kept getting notices about using legacy. When I changed the animation to legacy, it would play on the button press but my character would disappear.

So that's why I'm trying to use Animator.
What states do I use? So I will use Get Key Down, then send that to another state of Get Animator Bool? I'm not sure what to set for parameters there.

Sorry for all of the questions. :-\

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:58:09 AM by Haserhud »

Stain Corb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »
In your case I would definitely use "AnimatorCrosfade".

In this way you dont even have to use or set up Transition in the animator, but control it all with "AnimatorCrosfade".

I have discovered that you will have problems controlling AnimatorTiming and Playmaker timing trying to work together.

But if you use "AnimatorCrosfade" you dont need to add transitions at all just set up all your different states in the Animator and blend them together with "AnimatorCrosfade"Inside of Playmaker.

But this I recommend you to test your self to get you personal way of working.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I have linked an image explaining how to use Bool in Animator, Sorry for all the different variables, I pulled screen from my project. And actually need to delete them all since I am now using "AnimatorCrosfade".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure what problem you have with the Avatar.

Stain Corb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »
About the "AnimatorStateScincronize" this will modify your FSM using Animator. Not the other way around.

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »
In your case I would definitely use "AnimatorCrosfade".

In this way you dont even have to use or set up Transition in the animator, but control it all with "AnimatorCrosfade".

I have discovered that you will have problems controlling AnimatorTiming and Playmaker timing trying to work together.

But if you use "AnimatorCrosfade" you dont need to add transitions at all just set up all your different states in the Animator and blend them together with "AnimatorCrosfade"Inside of Playmaker.

But this I recommend you to test your self to get you personal way of working.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I have linked an image explaining how to use Bool in Animator, Sorry for all the different variables, I pulled screen from my project. And actually need to delete them all since I am now using "AnimatorCrosfade".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure what problem you have with the Avatar.

Damn! This was so helpful!

Thank you so much!   :D