playMaker

Author Topic: What the hell is going on?  (Read 1379 times)

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
What the hell is going on?
« on: February 28, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
I have a damage FSM set up on various objects that causes the Player object to blink, among other things.

It was working fine. If I go to the FSM before I look at anything else in the project, it shows the Player is selected.

But then if I look at the bottom of the screen, I see errors mentioning no object is selected (?). If I click the error, it pulls up the very FSM I was just looking at, except now it no longer has the player selected on the "Specify Game Object" dropdown. When I go to select the player again, I get this weird popup with an asset list I have never seen before. I can't view any of my actual in-game objects and I am unable to re-add it.

This is obviously a bug. I don't understand what is going on and this is causing issues in my project. Can anyone help?

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: What the hell is going on?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
Maybe you're trying to select prefabs? Are you editing a prefab with a FSM on it?
You cannot point to non-prefab Game Objects from within a FSM that is itself on a prefab.

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »
Maybe you're trying to select prefabs? Are you editing a prefab with a FSM on it?
You cannot point to non-prefab Game Objects from within a FSM that is itself on a prefab.

I didn't even think of that as a possibility. I'm not using any prefabs that I'm aware of. How would I determine if I was?

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:20:50 AM »
The fact that you're looking into "Assets" instead of "Scene" and the Game Objects are blue. The thing is, the Scene tab isn't even visible in the popup, there's only Assets.
Check your Hierarchy tab, you might be already editing a prefab (prefab editing mode) without even realizing it.

Haserhud

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 01:08:11 PM »
The fact that you're looking into "Assets" instead of "Scene" and the Game Objects are blue. The thing is, the Scene tab isn't even visible in the popup, there's only Assets.
Check your Hierarchy tab, you might be already editing a prefab (prefab editing mode) without even realizing it.

Hey Stylus,

I don't really understand prefabs. But when I look at my scene, I see it is titled SampleScene. Does that mean it's a prefab? So how do I know if I'm in prefab mode, and how do I change it? I tried Googling this but it's a bit confusing.

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
When you create or import an object and its in your Hierarchy tab.  Its just an object by itself.  When you drag that object into the project tab, it will turn blue indicating that its a prefab.  A prefab is a collection for example.  Its like a box full of stuff.  If you press the > arrow next to it you are looking inside that package, and can put additional stuff in there.  When you exit back out of the prefab, its now acts like a group of several objects etc.  Then you can get fancy and get into prefab variants which is a newer feature that allows you to make variations of that prefab all slightly different but based on the first prefab setup or design.  Most of the time you will be using prefabs instead of plain objects by themselves.