playMaker

Author Topic: How to work with prefabs?  (Read 842 times)

Thore

How to work with prefabs?
« on: June 05, 2020, 05:50:40 PM »
I use PlayMaker for a couple of years by now. I still don't get how to work effectively with prefabs, especially when those are also nested. The manual says it's just like with scripts, but is it?

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1454

Scripts are straightforward. When you change the script, it is going to be used by everything else just the way you've saved it. If you change values in the script, but you set serialised values in the inspector, then those take precedent (unless you overwrite them to something else in the script).

This seems not the case with FSMs. I had situations where I made structural changes and they then somehow vanished on some other prefab level. Just now I deleted an FSM, convinced this was inside the prefab, but outside, the FSM was still there.

Over time, I tried virtually all of the prefab settings and simply don't understand how they are supposed to work at all.

Can anyone give a guide how this works?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: How to work with prefabs?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 06:34:42 AM »
Hi.
SO far i noticed That making changes in the fsm on nested prefab is bad.

So i only expose variables in the inspector to do changes.
but even then sometimes i need to restart unity before changes are on the prefabs in the scene when played.

Also when making small changes on the main prefab i sometimes need to restart unity to make the changes work.

This is mainly with nested prefabs tho.

Also i think the manual is outdated