playMaker

Author Topic: smooth look at: is it possible to define the aiming axis?  (Read 875 times)

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
smooth look at: is it possible to define the aiming axis?
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:47:56 PM »
is there a action that is like Smooth Look At, but lets you set the forward facing? or lock specific axis? i am trying to make a aeroplane "roll" and "bank" as it moves. basicly i need what Smooth Look At does with the "keep vertical" option ticket does, but i need it to be rotated 90 degrees.

i have tried putting it in a empty object, but dont seem to get the results i want from that and it is really confusing

[EDIT] I edited the title, please make sure your title is relevant. thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:20:42 AM by jeanfabre »

Athin

Re: is there a action that...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 02:30:15 AM »
Heya,

What I think you want is a Float Smooth Damp Angle action.

Have the first state as the "Resting" position listening for turn input.  While in the resting state, have a Get Rotation action grabbing the current Z angle (Or whatever angle you're working off of) and set the Float Smooth Damp Angle to the resting rotation. After that, place a Set Rotation action every frame to the float smooth damp angle.

Simple copy and paste that for turning left/right with different Z values to get the "turning effect".  Will need to adjust the smooth time for whatever your taste is but should get you going at least.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: is there a action that...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:19:51 AM »
Hi,

what you need to do is create an empty gameobject that is properly aiming with its z axis, and then you have as children your object, that's how I do it, because even Unity doesn't give you that option to decide which axis is the one that should aim.

Bye,

Jean