playMaker

Author Topic: Translate won't work with Character controller  (Read 988 times)

downup

• Playmaker Newbie
Translate won't work with Character controller
« on: June 19, 2020, 03:54:37 AM »
I find it so frustrating to follow tutorials on Youtube when it works for them but when i do it is something wrong.

I follow them step by step doing everything they do but mine does not work.

Only different from me and tutorial is that i have my own character that i built.

So i am trying to make the character jump

I use translate to move the character on jump. The character is jumping my values no problems. But since i don't have an Character controller on her does she not react to gravity or objects in the game. So i add an character controller and set it to fit her perfect. Walking, running, going up steps and all works. The character reacts to my raytrace to see if she hits ground or not.

But my jump does not work, the translate in the FSM does not move her like i want. But if i remove the character controller does she translate like the script says.

What is wrong, what am i missing? Been looking at the tutorial 5-7 times for jumping but mine won't work with character controller.

I follow this tutorial

at 31minutes does he add the character controller.

Thore

Re: Translate won't work with Character controller
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
Hi,

I have no idea why, but many seem to have this issue lately. It most likely comes from Set Velocity, where you set the Y axis, or in your case, physics being active and overwritten?  That means, when you try to jump, you override it instantly again. To fix this, make sure nothing is set on Y axis or vectors, in Set Velocity or the transform actions.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:15:10 PM by Thore »

downup

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
Hi,

I have no idea why, but many seem to have this issue lately. It most likely comes from Set Velocity, where you set the Y axis, or in your case, physics being active and overwritten?  That means, when you try to jump, you override it instantly again. To fix this, make sure nothing is set on Y axis or vectors, in Set Velocity or the transform actions.

Thank you for answering, but i can't figure it out. At this point does it just makes me give up on keep going :) Feels like these tutorials are very good and has a lot of information. But when you do exact the same as them and it does not work is't frustrated. Can't keep going with my idea of a game if the character can't even jump.

I am looking at the playmaker officials tutorials but they are 10years old so i don't know if they are up to date or not. Will see if i find another tutorial and see if that helps me or not. Can there be anything wrong with my character?

Build it self in 3dsmax and rigged in Mixamo and animated there. The character walk and run very good but the jumping is out of question.

Thore

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »
How exactly would the jump work? If you switch off the other fsms in the inspector, does it work then?