playMaker

Author Topic: (Solved)there HAS to be a way to JUMP with Character Controller in 2020...right?  (Read 7848 times)

Qbanyto

• Vista Larga, Paso corto
With the “get axis vector” on my picture above.

Hi.
How/where are you moving the character?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Hi.
“get axis vector” is only getting a value from you input.

Are you using 'Controller Move/Controller Simple Move/Move Object/Move Towards actions somewhere?

Qbanyto

I'm not using any of those. I appears get axis vector takes the input system and applies movement from there. the only "move to" type i use is "smooth look at direction" for when I'm turning my character in any direction.

Hi.
“get axis vector” is only getting a value from you input.

Are you using 'Controller Move/Controller Simple Move/Move Object/Move Towards actions somewhere?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Hi.
It looks like you are moving with the animator, i did not know that was possible.

Also not sure if that is a good way to move your character.

Qbanyto

Yea. You’re probably right. Let me try your method one more time. Whenever I try doing it your way, I just can’t move the character when pressing the buttons.

Hi.
It looks like you are moving with the animator, i did not know that was possible.

Qbanyto

Dj, I just tried everything exactly how you wrote it and hes not moving at all. I press the directional keys and nothing happens. Can you make a small sample project and post it so I (and others) can download it and learn from it?

Yea. You’re probably right. Let me try your method one more time. Whenever I try doing it your way, I just can’t move the character when pressing the buttons.

Hi.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Hi.
Have you tried on a new scene with a object that has only a character controller?

Qbanyto

ok i got it working.
Also he moves vertical and horizontal but not relative to the camera. this is a third person free look camera. so this wouldn't work.

however, I implemented the "tween move" action script you showed me to my movement system and I'm happy with it. the only issues now is that when he jumps, his speed slows down in the X/Z axis until he lands on the floor and is running again. so he runs fast and SLOW MO jump. its a cool EFFECT but not what i want especially since its not intentional.

I am playing around with the animation speed and its helping a bit. any idea why he slows down while in the air?

I tried parenting a small cube infront of the player and have player move towards that direction while in air but its a bit wonky.

Hi.
Have you tried on a new scene with a object that has only a character controller?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Hi.
I do not know why its moving slower while 'jumping'

Maybe you could increase the axis multiplier while jumping.

Qbanyto

What would be the best way to do that? using Set fsm float? I’m currently using “translate” to make my jump. Anyways to make it translate faster upwards as well? Any way to adjust the translate speed?

Hi.
I do not know why its moving slower while 'jumping'

Maybe you could increase the axis multiplier while jumping.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:58:02 AM by Qbanyto »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
hi.
Probably that's why your jump is slowing down the movement as its conflicting with each other.

so even increasing the axis multiplier will not work.

Qbanyto

That’s the only way i can keep moving around in the air after I jump. I have tried many different playmaker tutorial and NONE of them have a jump feature for a 3rd person camera system. I would like to try using a rigid body and “add force” but I can’t seem to get rigid body controls to work with my camera system. I won’t give up though. 

I may just have to copy and paste some code from the template that unity has. Which sucks. I was hoping playmaker could give me Mario 64 type of controls

hi.
Probably that's why your jump is slowing down the movement as its conflicting with each other.

so even increasing the axis multiplier will not work.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:33:54 AM by Qbanyto »

Qbanyto

I THINK I SOLVED IT!

So I can now continue my movement momentum while jumping by using “controller move” and using the “inputVector” variable set by “get axis vector” action.

Works very nice! :P Wow! what a relief. Ha. Now to work on my triple jump. Woot woot!
Que bueno.

However I still can't manipulate movement WHILE in the air.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:49:29 PM by Qbanyto »

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Change the vector midair or increase the impulse in certain directions.

Qbanyto

Actually I forgot to update this but I fixed it. I just had to change the animation to a jumping “in place” type.  How do i add “solved” to the subject ? It won’t let me.

Edit: never mind i got it :)