playMaker

Author Topic: More Mobile Friendly Actions  (Read 2810 times)

volcank

• Playmaker Newbie
More Mobile Friendly Actions
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »
Hi I use playmaker and love it only it really lacks when it comes to touch controls for mobile platforms. Even when we create a touch event we can not see its result in preview mode unless we connect our phone etc. I normally use "Lean Touch +" Plugin but I am sure many of those actions can be added to playmaker. Such as touch to make a swerve movement on player, or touch to rotate like Helix Jump Game etc. And most important being able to see the result while testing in preview window in Unity.

Thanks

RAVEN001

• Junior Playmaker
  • BANNED
Re: More Mobile Friendly Actions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 12:56:40 AM »
i use control freak 2, already has extensive playmaker actions and is about $15. The dev is also super responsive.
BANNED

RAVEN001

• Junior Playmaker
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:10:52 AM »
but after re reading what you want out of an asset, you probably won't get it from control freak i had another asset that did something similar. i look into it.
BANNED

RAVEN001

• Junior Playmaker
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:28 AM »
ok so the asset i have is "Fingers - Touch Gestures for Unity" it doesn't have playmaker actions but it has a lot of drag and drop scripts to cover gestures.
BANNED

Christoph

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »
+1
I can't believe that Playmaker still doesn't have swipe actions for example that also work in editor at the same time. This is a huge flaw and could easily be updated.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:03:29 AM »
Hi.
Touch controls aren't that simple.
That's why there are several assets for touch controls as even in coding its a pain the make them :)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
Touch Event allows you to detect a touch and see if it continues, while Get Touch Info lets you know if there's a distance that's been covered and how fast, with delta values on X, Y and time.

It's not exactly intuitive but it works. Just put both actions into two different states, and also put actions in the second state that check if the touching has ended or has been cancelled.

Have a third state to manage the data obtained in the second and former state for example.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »
There is a Swipe Gesture Event, but I think the issue is that it's not usable in the editor (using the mouse to simulate touches). I agree, the action should really do this. I'll try to find some to look into it...

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 06:16:05 AM »
They shall work fine with Unity Remote.

Christoph

• Beta Group
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 01:44:48 PM »
They shall work fine with Unity Remote.
Yeah, and that is just horrible. You can't design a game where you have to go to your external device every time you hit play (that is if you have a device to test on in the first place).

In 2021 we need touch actions that do not rely on external devices for the production of your mobile games. Anything else is just - excuse the bad expression - crap. This should have been implemented like 5 years ago natively into Playmaker. Huge opportunity missed here imho. And I'm sure many potential customers lost.

Tbh, everyone who suggest to use Unity Remote, probably never has designed a mobile game. And if you have, then you don't know what you miss with designing your game and test-playing directly in the editor.

Look at Lean Touch+. Imagine all those touch inputs wouldn't work in the editor. Or look at the competition like Buildbox. This is how it needs to be done. Without any workarounds and no distractions for your game design.

Anyways, I already told this directly to Alex couple of months back, so not going to continue that negative spread. It's just something I can't understand at all and it hopefully is being taken care of since the mobile market is nowadays by far the biggest market for games.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »
Hi.
its more a flaw by unity itself that touch events don't work natively with mouse inside the editor.

That's why most people use assets like 'control freak 2' and 'Lean Touch'

you can't compare Lean Touch to Playmaker.
Lean Touch is purely made for touch controls.
Playmaker is a sort of state machine.

If you wanted touch to work with mouse in bolt you would have the same issue that unity does not support that natively.

Also build box is a different platform and might do better with touch controls than unity.

Not saying that it would be nice to have tho.

Maybe a good thing would be to ask the author of lean touch if he would be interested in adding support for Playmaker.

Control freak 2 has already playmaker support.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 03:11:47 PM »
Yes, plugins emulate the mouse but Unity Remote is sufficient if you need to know if your touch inputs are being recorded. However, it will not be good if you want to test performance, even when lowering the picture transfer quality for Unity Remote, because it will always lag behind the Unity Editor no matter what.

The best solution still remains to make quick builds just to try the touch functions IRL. If you're developing on mobile, you're ought to have at least a few test devices anyway. That's an upfront investment that's almost unavoidable.