playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker Actions for XR?  (Read 1755 times)

Adam Z

Playmaker Actions for XR?
« on: September 14, 2020, 10:53:27 AM »
Hey, anyone know where I can find some Playmaker Actions for XR? There's plenty for Oculus, but nothing specific for XR.

I tried to use tcmeric's Actions, but there's some functionality missing and he's been a bit unresponsive.

Thanks.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Playmaker Actions for XR?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »
You can usually find me on the playmaker chat.

What's the functionality that you are looking for?

Adam Z

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »
From a previous I posted this:
"Hey Eric, I was able to get your Playmaker Actions loaded without any issues.  I am a bit lost with how to get the position and rotation of the controllers. So I'm using 'Get XR Device Transform Info' action, every frame, but I'm not getting the coordinates.  I added three 'XR Controller Input.cs' scripts to an empty game object, and and choose Left Hand, Right Hand, and Head for those. Is there something else I need to do?"

I think we also talked on Discord (it was a while back), I did ask some questions and you never replied to them there.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:21:34 AM »
If I remember correctly, I advised to add a child game object to the controllers and use that.

We are at a bit of an impasse with Unity XR, as steam is not supporting it. I personally own a vive. Therefore I probably won't be giving it any new updates for now.

You can see steams position here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/unity-xr-plugin/issues/16

But to keep it short, at first they said they would support it, but then backed out of that promise. Instead, they plan on supporting what they are calling OpenXR (which is not unity specific). They went steam VR -> OpenVR -> OpenXR (newest).

The problem is that OpenXR is nowhere completed. And SteamVR/OpenVR has been depreciated for Unity 2020. But if you stay on 2019 Unity, you can use the old steam VR package from the store.

PolyMad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 07:14:31 AM »
This seems to be the only thread talking about OpenXR, so I'll post here.
Any update with this?
It's about time to have some actions for PlayMaker to deal with OpenXR I think, no?  ::)