playMaker

Author Topic: TombRaider style traps  (Read 834 times)

Benjiboy

• Playmaker Newbie
TombRaider style traps
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:05:53 AM »
Has anyone made any that they'd care to share the making of?
I have had a few thoughts for the making of the arrow trap, pit trap, falling rock, sinking ceiling, clashing walls and pendulum axe but am *very* unskilled in playmaker . . .

heavygunner

Re: TombRaider style traps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 01:56:02 AM »
Never played that game. Just watch couple minute videos about that game traps. Looks very basic. Most of them can be achieved with Tween actions / Look At

Benjiboy

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 06:52:28 AM »
That's what I figured and so thought, since Tombraider, (which you really should get a copy of and play) has been around forever, and Playmaker and iTween have been going for a while, that someone has probably done it already.

LuminRabbit

• Lumin Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 07:31:07 AM »
Hi Benjiboy,

Here is a video on triggers
I would have everything for the trap contained in an object so that they are reusable in different parts of levels.

Also here is another video to control the animation open and close states

There are many fantastic videos on Youtube under Hutong Games.

You could have a trigger event that once entered goes to another state that creates shooting arrows (create Object), inside of each arrow would have an FSM of its own to move it in a certain direction.

Here is an amazing videos series on that, the cool thing is later in the series it touches on pooling objects ;) 

I plan on one day creating a whole series of traps and stuff because I think they are really cool and love that they can be modular.

Hope this helps.

Have I said how much I love playmaker!!! This is one amazing tool

BredDev

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
I'd imagine it would just involve some simple parameters... like triggers and collision detection, couple that in with custom trap animations and meshes to take away player health and you've got a tomb raider game!

well, sorta.