playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker gets corrupted after installing additional Asset  (Read 1246 times)

Christoph

• Beta Group
Playmaker gets corrupted after installing additional Asset
« on: October 23, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
I just installed the Linker Wizard and my project got corrupted. Namely Playmaker got corrupted and it's impossible to keep working with the project because of it.

These errors appear and Playmaker completely disappears from the project. It's not anymore in the top menubar available as it should be.

Now interesting enough, this is actually the second time this happens to my project. The first time it happened after installing the asset "Simple Waypoint System" and it corrupted the project in the same way.

I thought it was a problem of that particular asset and according to the dev he fixed it. Doing so he said:

I am absolutely astonished how importing our additional actions can break the original PlayMaker scripts. Seriously, I have never seen such an issue in 7 years working with Unity.

The corresponding thread can be found here:
https://www.rebound-games.com/forum/topic/2528/import-in-playmaker-project-causes-errors

The problem is that even when I delete the Playmaker folder completely from the project, there are still the actions and other custom scripts that have a reference to the project and until I don't delete all of them (which is basically destroying my entire project) I can't re-install Playmaker successfully.

In short, at least with my limited knowledge, it means that my project just went straight into the trash bin.

Why does this happen? And more importantly, how can it get fixed?

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Playmaker gets corrupted after installing additional Asset
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 03:06:41 AM »
Hi.
you can try to get the utils package and install it.

https://github.com/jeanfabre/PlayMakerEcosystemPackagesRep_U5/blob/master/PlayMaker/Ecosystem/Custom%20Packages/Utils/PlayMakerUtils.unitypackage

if you do not have a backup of your project and can't install playmaker try this.

After importing playmaker, go to PlayMaker/Editor/Install in your project window.
there should be a package called Playmaker 1.x.x (number can vary)

Double click and it should install playmaker

Christoph

• Beta Group
Re: Playmaker gets corrupted after installing additional Asset
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 02:56:30 PM »
Thanks djaydino,

I fortunately started to use Sourcetree and was able to quickly restore the previous version, but wow, this shouldn't even be possible in the first place. The first time it happened I literally lost one complete week because I didn't know how to confront a situation like this (but fortunately had a Time Machine backup that I could restore in the end).

I guess the problem is that Playmaker is 'just' another asset as well and when you use it everything depends on it.

Some kind of safety switch would be nice though that at least you could re-install Playmaker without having to delete everything Playmaker related in your project.

It's crazy and very very frustrating to say the least. Does this happen a lot?