playMaker

Author Topic: Serialization issues? (v1.9.1.f7)  (Read 1118 times)

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Serialization issues? (v1.9.1.f7)
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:28:35 AM »
Unity 2018.4.30

I've run into some serious serialization issues. I mean, I guess that is how it is called.

Like here you can see that Playmaker decided to put a string from send event by name into separator field of build string action
https://i.gyazo.com/53770726ac6362df1188f23f3530dd88.png

I had examples when I change one variable to another in prefab edit mode, but in a scene that object still references old variable and Unity believes that there are no changes to this prefab instance.
... etc.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I wasn't able to make simple scene where I would able to reproduce those issues. But there is one thing that is reproducible and might be a hint to the core of those issue.

In previous version of Playmaker when I edited FSM on a prefab instance in any way I get this change in the interface.

In v1.9.1.f7 many modifications to Playmaker fsms on prefab instance don't trigger that change. And those are much easier to reproduce

At this point it feels that when I'm working with FSMs on prefab instances, in majority of cases when I'm finished and ready to apply changes. Playmaker doesn't see that any modifications to this FSM were made.

p.s. Right now I'm trying to make a relatively simple UI for activation of different cheats. Of course I use nested prefabs for buttons. Unfortunately I already had to delete those buttons from main Canvas 4 times, cause this is the only action that helps me fix those serialization issues.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 09:47:05 AM by Gua »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Serialization issues? (v1.9.1.f7)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
Hi, I'll investigate and try to repro here.

The more common workflow in 2018.3+ is to edit the prefab in prefab mode, then changes automatically propagate to instances. Editing instances and applying changes to the prefab is the older workflow, so might not have been tested as much. I will try to repro the issues here...

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
Hi, I'll investigate and try to repro here.

The more common workflow in 2018.3+ is to edit the prefab in prefab mode, then changes automatically propagate to instances. Editing instances and applying changes to the prefab is the older workflow, so might not have been tested as much. I will try to repro the issues here...
That is also my theory why testers didn't catch it and I constantly run into those issues. That's just the workflow I prefer. I'm much more productive with this "old" prefab workflow.

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »
The more common workflow in 2018.3+ is to edit the prefab in prefab mode, then changes automatically propagate to instances. Editing instances and applying changes to the prefab is the older workflow, so might not have been tested as much.
Even in prefab mode those issues occur. Here's example where I've changed variable in prefab mode, but save button didn't became active. I had to add new state to make it active.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:06:51 PM by Gua »

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »
Here's nested prefab serialization issue. Maybe this will be somewhat useful.

I've fixed it by deleting those nested prefabs from original prefab and adding them once again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:02:48 PM by Gua »