playMaker

Author Topic: State Groups  (Read 15436 times)

GrumpyGameDev

• Playmaker Newbie
  • I make games
Re: State Groups
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2020, 10:55:26 PM »
Hello

I see this is a long list of conversation, any updates to it? Just wondering since this could be really helpful.

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:14 PM »
Its pretty rare for fsms to get big enough to really justify a collapsing foldout inside a fsm. Idk.   I think id be happy with just being able to scribble notes in the graph and draw a color box around things.  No functioning logic, just visuals.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 06:57:34 AM »
Hi.
With Templates and "Run Fsm" you can already 'Group' actually

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2021, 07:03:43 AM »
It's advised to use multiple smaller FSMs when possible. This is very true when editing heavy FSMs, things are seriously slowed down. I'm not privy enough to how PM operates under the hood but it might have an effect at runtime too. I suppose a whole FSM gets preloaded or something, so if you don't always use the entirety of a big FSM, you would certainly want to optimize your project by cutting it into smaller bits that talk to each other and only get activated when necessary. You would better ask Alex if there is any performance issue for runtime ops.

I think the bigger issue is the lack of meta management of multiple FSMs until you use RunFSM and instantiate multiple FSMs at once in the same state, this being the closest thing you could get to multithreading in Playmaker.

PM 1.9.1 has added some new functions there.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2021, 07:10:11 AM »
Hi.
Run fsm exist already longer but it got an update on 1.9.1 yes

large fsms would not make a difference in a build if you would split that up.
But in editor when viewing playmaker window then yes.

Main reason of delay is due to how unity refreshes visuals. and the more states, the more visuals need to be calculated. (from state window)