playMaker

Author Topic: How to build a journal gameplay mechanic?  (Read 544 times)

Migsterium

• Playmaker Newbie
How to build a journal gameplay mechanic?
« on: February 12, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »
Hey there! I'm working on a 3D horror game where you explore some ancient ruins. Your playable character, a woman named Isabel, comes across different murals, paintings and texts written in an unknown language. Since she can't understand said language, I was thinking of including a gameplay mechanic where the player writes their own interpretations of the events, texts, painting, and other stuff she encounters in the ruins.

For better understanding, imagine the following sequence of events:
1. The player moves Isabel to a nearby pond, which triggers a story cutscene
2. During that cutscene Isabel witnesses a dog-like creature emerge from the water and drags an unsuspecting NPC to it, drowning him.
3. Isabel takes out a small journal and makes a quick sketch of the dog-like creature
4. The UI asks the player: "What was that creature?"
5. The player chooses their own interpretation of that creature from a list of options (An evil spirit, A messenger of the Gods, A rabid animal, etc.)
6. From that point on every time the player accesses Isabel's journal they can check her bestiary where they can read their own interpretations of monsters and events they've encountered (like the dog-like creature)

Is it possible to build something like this with PlayMaker? If so, how?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: How to build a journal gameplay mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »
Hi.
Its definitely possible.

But i strongly suggest to look to some basic tutorials how to use playmaker so that you get comfortable with it.

Once you get familiar with Playmaker most of the events you wrote should not be hard to do.