playMaker

Author Topic: Downgrading PM version  (Read 1957 times)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Downgrading PM version
« on: March 16, 2021, 01:53:51 PM »
Is there any safe way to do that which will not completely destroy the project?
For example, move from 1.9.x to 1.8, or just from 1.9.1 to 1.9.0?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Downgrading PM version
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi.
I never tried to do so, but i did have to do this once for downgrading unity and had a hell off issues most non playmaker related.

Best is probably to make a backup and test.
If you have issues its probably best to contact Alex directly (pm/email)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 06:17:51 AM »
I figure the best way is exactly that, and then transfer scenes, prefabs and necessary assets from that older backup too.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 01:23:59 PM »
Is there any file in Assets / Playmaker one can look into to know what version of PM is currently in use?

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
I think that I can only check if PM > Editor > Install contains PM_1.9.1.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 03:12:18 PM »
Hi.

PlayMaker/Editor/PlayMakerWelcomeWindow.cs

Code: [Select]
        public const string InstallAssemblyVersion = "1.9.0.p19";

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
Ok done, I was having way too many problems with data and events.
This is going to be really wordy but I've encountered serious problems since the update and discovered strange things while downgrading.

First thing first, I removed the current project's version from the Hub, then deleted the folder, unpacked an older one (yes, low tech, literally f*** the cloud), added it to the Hub and launched it.

All was ok BUT the colours were still screwed up despite having returned on 1.9.0 where I knew that the last time I worked on this version of PM, they were fine (I was using Default in Graph Styles: Theme). That was very weird so I went into the Preferences and I saw the style was set to Flat (the last style I tried in 1.9.1 after giving up because both modes failed to display the colour scheme properly in the GV, as I reported recently), which I changed back to Default. I didn't use Flat when I was on 1.9.0.

This should have not happened if the Playmaker prefs were strictly located inside the project.
I'm puzzled and must ask, are some Playmaker preferences actually saved outside of the project, like Unity's own prefs?

Also, since I brought fresher scenes from my last 1.9.1 project version back into the older one and opened them there, I got Unity freaking out about that isOnPlatform.cs script. Since it again prevented me from making changes where they were needed (and no amount of CTRL+S changed anything), I had to simply delete the action's script.
So, once the script was deleted, all actions pointing to it were whining and giving me Missing Action. Fine, plenty of errors.

There was an issue here because whereas I could solve this by deleting the Missing Action actions in non-instance GOs, I also had a prefab that used isOnPlatformEvent. I deleted the Missing Action in the proper state that contained it, but I kept having errors, about as many as there were instances of that prefab.
However, PM's Error manager kept pointing at the prefab which was already corrected! It couldn't refresh properly and still saw errors where there should be none reported. I looked into the instances and the change was mirrored in them too so that was problematic. It was a bug.
Even when I went into the state on that prefab where this action was, I wanted to add a note reminding me what I had to do in that state with a Comment action, and this had the red (!) notification appearing on the state, telling me there was an error with the Comment (WHAT).

Clearly, Playmaker wasn't capable of letting go the memory of the prefab using the isOnPlatformEvent action, it even seemed to have the state being haunted and would harass any new action, even this poor Comment one that could never throw any error whatsoever under normal conditions.
Only copy/pasting the script version from my 1.9.1 project and putting it into my unpacked 1.9.0 project calmed PM's error reporter.

Finally, I added IsOnPlatformEvent action in the state inside the FSM on my prefab, set it up like it was before, and things went on nicely.
I did a refresh in the Action Browser on this while inside the prefab editor and it reported only one use of this action (while before reimporting the script, the error reporter would report problems both on the prefab and the instances).

I went out of the prefab, did a refresh, 0 returns. Yet the instances have been properly updated and each one have the repaired FSM with the action properly set up too.
It might be necessary to look into this problem and see why Playmaker seems to have issues doing a proper refresh on prefabs. I understand that prefabs are much more sensitive to handle but that was very annoying.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 03:41:05 PM »
PlayMaker/Editor/PlayMakerWelcomeWindow.cs

Code: [Select]
        public const string InstallAssemblyVersion = "1.9.0.p19";

Nice, so there are two methods to do it.