playMaker

Author Topic: Is it possible to make such a game with Playermaker?  (Read 1901 times)

pose1233

• Playmaker Newbie
Is it possible to make such a game with Playermaker?
« on: August 01, 2021, 04:10:01 PM »
Hi. I've never used unity before. I want to make an isometric tycoon style game. Characters will walk around, buildings will be developed and similar events. But as far as I researched on reddit, they said it's a bit limited. I also wanted to ask here. If I learn playmaker, can I make games in the style I want?

Those who are curious about the style I want can look at Codi Games games.

Thank you from now. I'm sorry for my bad english. I used translation.

artician

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Is it possible to make such a game with Playermaker?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 05:00:31 PM »
Hi.

I've found very, very few things that I cannot achieve with PlayMaker.
Creating a Tycoon-style game is possible.

I've used PlayMaker on dozens of projects for 10 years.  For most work, I am able to move much quicker than my engineering colleagues when I use PlayMaker.  I highly recommend it. 
Hope that helps!

pose1233

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »
Hi.

I've found very, very few things that I cannot achieve with PlayMaker.
Creating a Tycoon-style game is possible.

I've used PlayMaker on dozens of projects for 10 years.  For most work, I am able to move much quicker than my engineering colleagues when I use PlayMaker.  I highly recommend it. 
Hope that helps!

So as someone who doesn't know Unity3d at all, can I learn in a short time?

artician

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:48:51 PM »
No one will be able to answer that question for you.  That is too variable on the individual.
I can say:
- Unity is easy to use.  The only other game engine that caters to new users as well is Unreal (which has nothing to do with playmaker, I'm just providing it as a reference).  I cannot recommend one over the other: for new users they're equal.
- PlayMaker is easier than learning a programming language.
- You can program complete games using Unity+PlayMaker.

So I could say that Unity+PlayMaker, or Unreal+Blueprints, are the "quickest" way to produce a complete project.  You might have faster results with something like GameMaker, which can also create a "Tycoon" style game, but other than those options there is no faster way for learning -> creating -> finishing.

I have made my living off of Unity+Playmaker for 10 years.
I have 20 years of experience in professional game development and have used dozens of game engines, so the experience for a new developer might differ a bit, but that should give you an understanding of whats available to you.

Groo Gadgets

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34:19 AM »
So as someone who doesn't know Unity3d at all, can I learn in a short time?

I would strongly suggest that you start with a much simpler idea than a Codi-style tycoon game. If you have never made a game before a tycoon game would be nearly impossible for a Playmaker beginner to pull off.

That said a tycoon game would be very possible with playmaker but it would be very complex regardless of your coding preference.

Cheers,

Simon

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 01:38:53 PM »
You can make whatever you want, there's really not much difference than making a game in pure c#. However, beware of project scope, tycoon game sounds like a lot of years of work for one man.
Available for Playmaker work

andyandyandy

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 10:18:43 PM »
Yes you can. Be prepare to know how many functions you need to create, how many screen functions you need to create. Such as upgrade screen, building screen, resource screen, selection screen, and many unique building ability screens.

I'm currently making a isometric online war game with playfab (PPA add-on to connect) You're going to spend at least 1,000+ hours. So just be sure you know what you're getting into.

Christoph

• Beta Group
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »
Playmaker uses actions within a Infinite State Machine that allows you to visually put logic together. These actions are nothing more than premade c# scripts, so the question if you can make a game X or Y is easy to answer: of course you can.

The real question imho is not if you can, but rather if you can without coding and expanding the already existing default actions included in playmaker and those available in the ecosystem and if these are enough for your game mechanic. There for sure might be a limitation but if the needed actions are missing, you could simply write your own actions for whatever is needed and then use and re-use them as normal.

This leads probably to the even more important question: as a Unity rookie or no-coder are you able to understand the scope of your game mechanic, the logic that is needed for it and are you capable to set that all up within state machines? If the game is very complex you probably cannot. Just because playmaker is visual doesn’t make you automatically a developer. As anything in life, there will be a learning curve. And this will be different for everyone.