playMaker

Author Topic: Unity on iPad  (Read 1674 times)

markmandarin

• Playmaker Newbie
Unity on iPad
« on: October 28, 2021, 07:42:28 PM »
I had a dream where Tim announced that Unity comes to iPad so we could do our Playmaker stuff on iPad while doing another job in a toilet.
What do you think? Let's dream together.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:11:27 PM by markmandarin »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Unity on iPad
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 09:07:36 AM »
Hi.
Remote Control :) apps (for example Team Viewer)

Ipad itself wont probably be strong enough and to many issues to cross platform :)

markmandarin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
Hi.
Remote Control :) apps (for example Team Viewer)

Ipad itself wont probably be strong enough and to many issues to cross platform :)

If Steve Jobs thaught like you he would never made iPhone iPad and many good things. I keep thinking large

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 03:45:57 PM »
Hi.
You actually already can use unity on a tablet, but on a Windows tablet :)

Sorry, personally i find that Apple is much more about a brand and marketing than innovating.
Elon musk is a much better example :) (again personally)

markmandarin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 05:47:47 PM »
Hi.
You actually already can use unity on a tablet but on a Windows tablet :)

Sorry, personally I find that Apple is much more about a brand and marketing than innovating.
Elon musk is a much better example :) (again personally)
Hi
Come on my man, totally disagree with you, I think that Apple is a nice ecosystem. This is my personal opinion but I am thinking like this: Playmaker's philosophy is to do more with artist-friendly and logical tools instead of rough coding, so Apple has the same philosophy, in a beautiful experience do very serious work.
I know I can use PM in a MacBook, pretty same experience for a mobile one and I did many years traveling and enjoying PM in a train, but imagine an iPad which are now very powerful supports Unity, that would be something.
Look at LumaFusion, a professional video editing tool only on iPad.
I have a feeling that blender will do something like that soon.
We need to start looking, iPads are not like kid's toys but powerful mobile computers.
 All are IMO

mrminico

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 06:45:28 PM »
I also thought what if unity were to release some sort of mobile editor where we can still work on our projects away from our computers and from the comfort of our bed.

Well, truth be told building a separate version of unity's game engine just to run on an iPad or Tablet seems very impractical. Although it would be nice to have the app the closest and more optimal way we can achieve that dream is through streaming.

Just as DJay Dino mentioned in regards to "Remote control apps" which already exist even when looking at Unity's Remote (Which streams Unity's game window and detects touch input in real time).

Streaming speeds will only continue to get better and although tablets are also getting better there's no way they'll ever be able to compete with a high-end pc streaming unity at a stable rate.

If you even look at Playstation's approach to playing games on PC and Tablet by streaming it from their cloud.

https://youtu.be/CBTWyyiaEwI?t=252

You'd see the possibilities on what can be done with this tech if unity were to utilize it.

And realistically speaking if anyone were to do such innovation for mobile it would be Samsung. Apple is less likely to take a leap like this unless its beneficial to its common consumer. They literally gatekeep their ecosystem of tech very well and are not as open-source as windows or android. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:08:30 PM by mrminico »

markmandarin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 11:02:04 PM »
I also thought what if unity were to release some sort of mobile editor where we can still work on our projects away from our computers and from the comfort of our bed.

Well, truth be told building a separate version of unity's game engine just to run on an iPad or Tablet seems very impractical. Although it would be nice to have the app the closest and more optimal way we can achieve that dream is through streaming.

Just as DJay Dino mentioned in regards to "Remote control apps" which already exist even when looking at Unity's Remote (Which streams Unity's game window and detects touch input in real time).

Streaming speeds will only continue to get better and although tablets are also getting better there's no way they'll ever be able to compete with a high-end pc streaming unity at a stable rate.

If you even look at Playstation's approach to playing games on PC and Tablet by streaming it from their cloud.

https://youtu.be/CBTWyyiaEwI?t=252

You'd see the possibilities on what can be done with this tech if unity were to utilize it.

And realistically speaking if anyone were to do such innovation for mobile it would be Samsung. Apple is less likely to take a leap like this unless its beneficial to its common consumer. They literally gatekeep their ecosystem of tech very well and are not as open-source as windows or android.

you just ruined my dream,

and btw the unity in mobile joke is fun :D

mrminico

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 01:59:07 AM »
Haha, don't worry I'm pretty sure it'll be a thing one day.   :D

markmandarin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 03:55:19 AM »
Haha, don't worry I'm pretty sure it'll be a thing one day.   :D

That's the answer that I wanted to hear :)