playMaker

Author Topic: Templates as actions workflow  (Read 1390 times)

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Templates as actions workflow
« on: January 07, 2022, 04:41:00 AM »
Very often I use templates as a substitute for custom actions. But at the moment, Playmaker isn't super friendly to that workflow, cause I can't past template directly into state. It means that there's a lot of extra steps involved in getting my "custom action" into state. At the moment it looks like this.

It might not seem like a lot, but when you need to that constantly it gets annoying and time consuming, breaking your workflow. I would love to be able to right click onto state and just past it, like I do it with fsm.

(updated)
Here's how to execute it.

1. Player should able to see this menu when clicking inside the state.

2. Any template you choose will be posted as run_fsm action with selected template. (If you drag template from template browser into state, this is exactly what happens.

That would speedup my workflow significantly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 12:22:59 AM by Gua »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Templates as actions workflow
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 11:57:59 AM »
Hi.
I use Run fsm a lot as well, but i use the action browser and drag/drop the run fsm action (same as other action) then search the template using the 0 (next to the ...) and search by name.
Which for me works faster.

But indeed, right clicking a state to add a template would be a lot faster.

On the implementation side. A lot of question arise, with that approach. Like what to paste if you try to paste complex template with lot of states. My solution to that is that when you try to paste template into state. Playmaker will only list templates that consist of run FSM action(like in my example video). That way you wont be able to paste complex templates and you will have a much shorter list of templates.

I am not sure what you mean here.
As far as i know, all Pm templates can be used in a Run Fsm.

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Re: Templates as actions workflow
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 12:19:38 AM »
I am not sure what you mean here.
As far as i know, all Pm templates can be used in a Run Fsm.
I hate extra clicks and steps. So I as you can see in my example video I prefer spawning pre configured run_fsm actions.

Manually searching for run_fsm, then searching for appropriate template is just too time consuming, when I can just paste my preconfigured run fsm actions with couple clicks. (Of course currently I also need to then, cut that action and past it in appropriate place and then delete empty state) those extra steps is what I want to get rid of with my suggestion.

I've just played around with template browser and figure out that solution could be much, much simple and consistent. To what I was proposing before.

1. Player should able to see this menu when clicking inside the state.

2. Any template you choose will be posted as run_fsm action with selected template. (If you drag template from template browser into state, this is exactly what happens.

That would speedup my workflow significantly.

P.S. I've update original post to not waste Alex time on wrong suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 12:27:33 AM by Gua »