playMaker

Author Topic: Strange Bug [SOLVED]  (Read 482 times)

NewbNinja

• Playmaker Newbie
Strange Bug [SOLVED]
« on: May 26, 2022, 12:31:23 AM »
So my FSM was able to handle MULTIPLE functions within a single state, for example I would run:

1 translate
2 Trigger Checks
1 Wait

It used to work perfectly fine but now the damn thing won't allow more than ONE operation per state now.  This Playmaker thing is so temperamental I swear it's mocking me.

Is this a bug?  Am I overlooking a setting?

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:13:45 AM by NewbNinja »

NewbNinja

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Strange Bug
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 01:05:27 AM »
I was thinking about deleting my question since I found the problem but I'm not going to.  I can't be the ONLY person here who is finding Playmaker harder than C# itself.  I mean seriously, I have less issue programming this manually.   No joke.

I picked Playmaker up because it was advertised as EASY.  It's absolutely NOT easy and I'd wager you could learn C easier than this damn thing.

Anyway, enough of my whining tonight ... the issue was there's a setting called "ACTION SEQUENCE".   Yeah, DO NOT click that.  I guess it's there to play things in order but the problem being it stops you using multi-listeners and everything :D

I'm learning .... slowly but surely ... but literally 5 hours of my night was spent trying to do a damn "SUBTRACT INT" .... i didnt even know that damn function existed :)

Arrrrrggggghhhh!

Hope this helps someone.  Back 2moro for more fun and whining.

Stay safe people!

eros

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Strange Bug [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 03:02:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm finding that it doesn't necessarily make anything "easier" per se unless perhaps you're a poor typist (but VS remedies even that to some extent lol). Even with a good foundational knowledge of programming principles you still need to invest effort into learning what it can do and how to make it do what you want.

The most productive thing I ever did personally was when I stopped making tutorial games and dedicated a solid few days to going through each and every default action in PM, making sure I understood what each one was for and thinking up instances where they might be used. Once I did that, I hit the ecosystem and grabbed anything else that looked useful or interesting. If I didn't understand what an action was for, I looked it up online or played with it in Unity until I did.

In retrospect, I certainly could have used that time learning C# syntax instead, but thus far I have zero regrets about diving in with PM. It continues to impress me as I continue to get my head around it, and most importantly semicolons are no longer my mortal enemies.  8)

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Strange Bug [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 10:15:42 AM »
Hi,

The action sequence can be useful as it will wait until the previous action is finished.
if the action sequence is off it will start the actions (from top to bottom)
but will not wait until they finish.
In most cases especially when doing something every frame you don't want to enable it.

You can find a lot of custom actions on the Ecosystem

Also you can make your own custom actions if you have some C# knowledge which enhances the power of playmaker.

You can use Playmaker together with C# if you wish.
For example Hollow nights used PM mostly for AI as it was faster and easier to change/tweak behaviors.

Here is a link to the Playmaker API which can help creating your own custom actions and/or communicate with other scripts.

I also would suggest you to join the PlayMaker Discord Channel.