playMaker

Author Topic: How to add video cutscence with playmaker that player can skip  (Read 410 times)

thebank310

• Playmaker Newbie
How to add video cutscence with playmaker that player can skip
« on: September 18, 2022, 01:42:24 AM »
How to add video cutscence for story telling with playmaker that player can skip may video clips to tell stories about your games
I try to follow many tutorials on youtube but it does not work

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:05:55 AM by thebank310 »

GMPlay

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: How to add video cutscence with playmaker that player can skip
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 03:49:45 AM »
Hi,

I have limited experience with video playbacks but here is what I know:

FIRST: To properly set up the video player component on the canvashttps://youtu.be/p7iXEZGx2Mc

There are plenty of 'Video Player' actions in playmaker and there are few available in Ecosystem also.

I did a quick search but I am not able to find that would skip the video. May be there is but not able to find right now.

Work around:

First you need to create a canvas which will handle the video playback. Attach a component called video player to this canvas. It will have a video clip field where you may drop you video file.

Next you may setup a button that appears during the playback, on the same canvas...if it works. On pressing this button you can disable the 'canvas' component on the video canvas.

I am sure there are other simpler ways but to gain access to the canvas component the way I know is to first create a new variable of type 'object'  (not to be confused with game object).

Then select object type drop down to reveal a huge list of all objects unity has to offer. Under 'Unity Engine' look for 'UI' and then 'canvas'. (you will have to scroll way down as this list is in alphabetic order)

Now you have successfully set this new variable of type 'canvas'

Next you need the action 'get component'. Select the video canvas game object of which you want to disable the canvas component.

Then you need the action 'set property'. Select your newly created 'canvas' type variable here. Then in Property select 'enable'. Set the value to unchecked (false).

This will disable the canvas component on video canvas if you put the above mentioned actions on the button click. Make sure you also put video player stop action (or something like that) so that it doesn't keep playing in the background.

Again there may be a direct and simpler way. If you find one please let me know.

Cheers!

thebank310

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
Hi Many thanks for your comments

I am very desperate for now however

when I read your comments It seemed like I still had a hope

you know for storytelling we need something like that in our games

I will try your comment on my project

many thanks for showing me the light

GMPlay

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »
I know that feeling  :D

I was stuck many times, but so far I've had all my questions answered on this forum. So may be I can return favor by answering a few the best way I can.

Peace!