playMaker

Author Topic: Another interesting opinion about Playmaker, from a coder  (Read 1116 times)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Another interesting opinion about Playmaker, from a coder
« on: October 12, 2022, 05:31:13 AM »
https://vionixstudio.com/2019/09/28/unity-playmaker-is-it-worth-the-price/

The article is a bit longer but here's the best part:

My experience with playmaker

I am an average programmer who can write the code required for my game. When I first came across playmaker and bought it on a sale. I thought “can’t I code this stuff faster? “. But, I bought it anyway and thought let me give it a try for one game. As I started using it more I started to like it.

Working on playmaker feels like making a flowchart. I started to love it once I got the hang of it. Playmaker is made with rapid prototyping in mind so, once you know what you are doing, you can get a prototype of your game in no time.

The other major reason I use playmaker is the way it keeps your code organized. If you are working alone on your game then you have to take care of art, sound, marketing, and a lot of other stuff. When you come back to your code you just feel lost for a while. With playmaker, you can just take a look at the visualization and just get back on track. Learning playmaker is just worth the time.

Can’t i just learn to code?

Yes, this is the first question that comes to everyone’s mind when they see a visual scripting tool. The answer is it’s just a matter of interest. Some people love coding and some just can’t seem to remember the syntax. If you are someone who has no problem in writing long codes and can find the bug even when the code is more than 1000 lines, then you don’t need a visual scripting tool.

I have a friend who can code but he forgets the syntax of the code and always looks up in documentation or google to finish it. Even with the auto-complete of the compilers nowadays, sometimes you just can’t seem to remember it. Tools like playmaker really help in cases like this. It does take a little time to learn playmaker but it’s fairly easy to learn.

Who should get playmaker?

You should get Unity playmaker if you fall under one of these categories

1. You don’t know how to code or have very little knowledge.

2. You can’t remember the syntax and have to google it every time before writing a line of code.

3. If you want to concentrate on other aspects of your game and like visualization.

4. If you can’t keep your code organized and mess up the code to a level that you have to go through it everytime to understand what’s happening.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Another interesting opinion about Playmaker, from a coder
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 01:14:40 PM »
Thanks for posting this!