playMaker

Author Topic: Question about controls for my game  (Read 1279 times)

misterjuly

Question about controls for my game
« on: December 10, 2022, 11:01:57 PM »
I have a 2 player fighting-like game. Currently, it just has controller support (the keyboard is not functional). Is it important to put keyboard support in? I don't think there would be enough keys on the keyboard for both players to use it simultaneously, and the analog stick is critical. I know I could use WASD keys, but it wouldn't be as intuitive since I would also need IJKL and arrow keys (you are required to use the left and right analog sticks, as well as the D-pad for one player).

Thanks!

misterjuly

Re: Question about controls for my game
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 11:06:22 PM »
Also, there are no AI players (just local versus). Would this make a difference?

Thanks again!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 01:31:08 AM »
Hi.
If you are releasing on pc you might want to add keyboard, at least for 1 player.
As a lot of player use mouse/keyboard

misterjuly

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 10:09:40 AM »
Ok thanks. So it’s not weird to only be able to play one player with keyboard? I was thinking it should be both players key board (or both players controller) but not one and the other. Maybe I’m wrong as I don’t play a lot of PC games. Thanks!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 10:25:42 AM »
Hi.
well it would be better if able to play with 2, but you need to many keys for one, 1 player on keyboard is still better than 0 :)

misterjuly

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 12:18:12 PM »
Okay thanks. Also, would you make player 1 or player 2 default to keyboard? And do you think it is okay for there to be no AI players and no online (people could use steam remote play together). The game would also probably be very cheap (no more than $7.99, as it is not a big game and there would be no online or AI players the way it is now. Just wanted to get your thoughts on these questions. Thanks so much for your help!

drown

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 05:52:31 PM »
The cool thing is that if you setup your input system properly you can actually pretty easily allow different combinations of input devices. I would not suggest a shared keyboard (single keyboard for 2 players) unless your controls are very simple (only using arrow keys and WASD would be the only "okay" option).

You should read up on the "new" Unity Input system and take a look at the asset store, there are some control systems that even support Playmaker out of the box. Hutong Games even released a Playmaker Tutorial.

You can even explore more creative solutions, like connecting 2 phones as controllers with an on screen UI that makes for a "digital controller" - although that might be tricky to achieve without input lag.

All in all: The first step would be to get the game in a state where you can confidently control all the major systems with a single main input device. For a fighting game this would be the controller. Then you would port that input schema over to a secondary control device, the keyboard in this example.

Then you would start adding code that allows multiple input devices and a per-player choice of said input.

When all is done, then you can start thinking about pricing of your game! :b

misterjuly

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 09:16:43 PM »
I'm currently using rewired. I'll have to research how to make the keyboard function for one player. It shouldn't be too hard I would think. Thanks!