playMaker

Author Topic: A* pathfinding (stable 0v841)  (Read 226808 times)

Grofit

• Junior Playmaker
Re: A* pathfinding (stable 0v841)
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2013, 06:51:24 AM »
Yeah they have removed some classes and moved to use new ones. I will refactor the actions to work with the new components as best I can but could do with someone testing it once I am done... I am still not 100% sure that the github project is actually stable, but will let you know once its done and let me know if it works :)

There are some underlying changes which I am not really sure how to map over in the new version...  I have put a post here:

http://arongranberg.com/vanillaforums/discussion/1005/changes-in-version-3-4

So hopefully once I get some steer on what to use instead of these old methods I should be good. For now I would say stick with the older version of the pathfinder unless you NEED something in the new one.

We have made a 3.4 branch in git however it is not compiling currently.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:52:49 AM by Grofit »

mweyna

« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
So just to be clear, the new version is non-functional and we should avoid updating until this is all resolved?

Grofit

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2013, 06:42:21 AM »
Yes.

Version 3.4 of the A* pathfinding system does not currently work with the playmaker bindings. This goes for the github version (still not fully tested) and the installer version on he first post in this thread.

The github version is currently being updated to the latest version, however there are some outstanding questions for the creator of the pathfinding library before we can update.

We will post on here when the update has been done.

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »
Grofit,

Just want to mention that your really generous selfless contributions are going very appreciated here. The most detailed intricacies of AStar are a bit beyond me, personally, but I'm aware enough of the scope of the work to recognize all the time and effort required to do what you've been doing. Thank you.
And of course many thanks to kiriri as well for all the original work.

Grofit

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2013, 04:18:12 AM »
No worries, I don't have a clue about most of the internal logic of this thing, however I don't really need to know the domain to re-work it, Reshaper helps lots in doing this :)

To be honest the only reason I started this github versions was because the installer version broke my A* pathfinding bindings in unity so this seemed to be a way to get around it without too much effort.

We have fixed some more issues, but still need some confirmation on other bits and I need Kiriri to take a look over some of the remaining issues as it will effect the logic and don't want to mess with that.

Grofit

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #305 on: December 20, 2013, 05:36:13 AM »
Just to keep you all in the loop we are still working with Aron (the creator of A* Pathfinder) to solve the current issues and should hopefully have a release soon.

muppetpuppet

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »
Sorry for the late update on my issues.

They still persist, but i've coded a simple script that checks if the pathfollower is moving or not.. and if it isn't it triggers a seperate state that re-triggers the entire move to state..   Which works quite well actually. (but is a really dirty hack IMHO ;)

so its solved for now, via workaround..

kathode

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #307 on: December 28, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
Just wanted to register and post my support :)  I am working on a project with a click-to-move mechanic and this support would be invaluable.  Keep us updated and let us know if you need testers.

hwilliams

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #308 on: January 01, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
I know that an update for these actions is in the works, but I was just wondering if there was a way to download an older version of A* so that I could work with it until then. Or if anyone had a copy they'd be willing to share. Thanks!!

darrkbeast

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
Hey I know you can download from the link on the first page, when you run it without A*star and click add when the installer ask and it will install a working version it did for me. Also you can download a older version of a* from that website, but I cant rememeber what you change at the end of the download link to do that. If you only have free just run the installer from here it will get you going.

hwilliams

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »
Thanks darrkbeast! Unfortunately when I try to use the link on the front page I get a string of errors, and python telling me it can't install A*, but it's probably because I'm doing something wrong. I appreciate the help though! If I can't get an older copy of A* I can wait until the playmaker actions update.

Grofit

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #311 on: January 03, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
The bulk of the work has been done on the refactor for the new version (to support the latest A* version) its just waiting on Kiriri or the creator of the A* project to advise on one or two points, as I don't have the domain context of the A* library to know what to do with the current errors.

If it helps here is the outstanding issue on github to finish it, once those guys tell me (or do the change themselves) we should be good to go.

https://github.com/grofit/playmaker-astar-actions/issues/5

I am using this for point and click controls as well :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:10:07 PM by Grofit »

redmotion

• Playmaker Newbie
  • Independent game developer using Unity and ShiVa
    • redmotion.com
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
Hi, I'm using a mac.

How do I install this extension?

(Sorry for not reading 21 pages of forum posts, if this has already been answered, it's not on the opening post)

Grofit

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #313 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »
If you are using the installer off the first page you will need to install python and run the py file from the command line and press yes or no to the questions asked.

If you are using the github version just take the unity package from the dist folder and install it as you would any other package.

Neither are compatible with the latest version of the Astar package, but work is underway on this.

mykonata

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
Hello, thanks for your great addon!

Can someone tell me how get fsmNavGraph variable from my graph(grid) ?
And how i can put all nodes(from 1 graph) to array ?