playMaker

Author Topic: Memory Leak causing lots of data loss to friend's computer  (Read 3487 times)

misterjuly

Re: Memory Leak causing lots of data loss to friend's computer
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2023, 06:26:56 AM »
Bump.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2023, 12:41:17 PM »
Well some part of could could be different.

in code there can be a #IF UNITY_MAC for example.
Then this code is for mac only.

also build process is different when build for pc on a mac or on a pc.

another thing is graphic cards one graphics card would have no issue while other have.

also older pc's vs newer.
We noticed on our game that old pc's with lower graphics cards have some weird behaviors compared to other pc's.

what you can try is install unity on a windows pc and make a debug build with profiler so you can see whats happening

misterjuly

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2023, 02:52:57 PM »
Ok thanks! I’ll let you know if I have any more questions.

misterjuly

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2023, 11:51:09 AM »
I THINK I have narrowed it down to the graphics cards being different on Macs vs. PCs. I don't know much about this subject, researched it, turned off the D3D11 swap chain settings and it doesn't seem to be crashing anymore (will have to do more testing to make sure), but the build is extremely laggy on PC but not Mac. I don't think it is the virtual desktop because it seemed to run the same when I was playing the game and doing other things on it. The reason I think it is the graphics card and not something else is because of this:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/constant-crashes-failed-to-present-d3d11-swapchain-due-to-device-removed.987834/page-2

Note that I never tried it on anything below Windows 10, and according to this, I think that is more evidence that this is the problem.

So here is my question now: What can I do to make it run better on PC? Not general things like performance in making the game, but things that are specific to PC, or more specifically, the graphics cards within. I tried a few things within the Project Settings, but if anyone could give me a list of things that could be helpful, I would be extremely thankful. Remember, it runs fine on a much weaker MacBook Air than a powerful PC. Also, please let me know if any of my reasoning is not sound. Thanks!

misterjuly

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2023, 01:42:33 PM »
bump

misterjuly

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2023, 08:59:50 AM »
bump

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames