playMaker

Author Topic: unity editor not showing up but is opening  (Read 2095 times)

misterjuly

unity editor not showing up but is opening
« on: May 17, 2023, 06:26:53 PM »
Hello,

For whatever reason, Unity editor is not being visible, but is opening. I can right click on the unity icon and get a blank border when I click on show all windows. It is just clear with no color or anything on it (I see my desktop). It says its open but then eventually says application not responding. I have already tried the following:

-Powering on and off my computer (did this several times)
-reinstall unity editor version.
-try to open a different project then the one I am working on.

I will note other projects will work fine. I think I was testing the editor with playmaker running hence why I am posting about it here.

Thanks!

misterjuly

Re: unity editor not showing up but is opening
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 08:28:17 PM »
A little more information. I tried copying the files to a project I wasn't using that I knew would open. Same problem. So I think something in the files might have gotten messed up. No idea what it could be though. Thanks again!

misterjuly

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »
I checked the logs in the project folder and found this:

Base path: '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents', plugins path '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines'
Cmd: initializeCompiler

Unhandled exception: Protocol error - failed to read magic number (error -2147483644, transferred 0/4)

Quitting shader compiler process

I should mention it was created when I try to open the project.

No idea what this means. Should I try deleting shader compiler process? Don't know if that is even possible or a good thing. Thanks!

misterjuly

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 09:08:03 PM »
I also tried opening it without the unity hub and also reinstalling it. Neither worked.

misterjuly

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 12:16:58 PM »
Now I tried installing a different version of unity and trying that. No good. Will deleting playmaker from the Finder Window (I'm on Mac) and reinstalling it if it opens make me lose my progress on FSMs. I don't want to do that if it would. Thanks!

Christoph

• Beta Group
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 01:04:20 PM »
Close your project, then delete the library folder in your projects folder. Then re-open the project. This might get rid of your problem since Unity will re-create everything in the library folder.

misterjuly

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 01:42:00 PM »
Still have the problem after doing that (the library folder keeps coming back). I can see the Safe Mode Window though. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Christoph

• Beta Group
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 02:09:35 PM »
What happens when you accept safe mode? Does it open?

misterjuly

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 02:14:22 PM »
It'll open, but I can't work on the project (as is natural for safe mode) (I tried deleting some stuff and it won't let me reinstall it until I can open the regular editor; that's how I know about the safe mode thing). Safe mode seems to be working fine. I also tried copying a library folder from a back up, but it still had the same problem. I know I could use the back up of the whole project, but I would lose progress and I don't want that...

misterjuly

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 03:00:45 PM »
I got it to consistently open now (thank goodness), but certain things are not working right. Certain inputs don't work (but others do) and certain ui elements are not showing up (text goes to blank, but ui icons are visible). I'm sure there are other problems but that should give you an idea. I would think there would be one thing to fix it, but I don't know what that is. Thanks!

misterjuly

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 03:33:50 PM »
I got the two previously mentioned issues to work by reimporting the global variables, but the game lags really bad now for whatever reason.

misterjuly

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 03:37:58 PM »
Looking at the profiler it looks like scripts, other, and physics are what is making it slow. But the settings of all of these things used to be the exact same so I'm not sure. Is there another file that I need to reimport into the project? I'm not sure...

Christoph

• Beta Group
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 04:10:59 PM »
So when it opens in safe mode, what are the errors shown in the console?

misterjuly

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 05:23:15 PM »
It has no errors now, but lags really bad. I narrowed it down to rotating platforms I added in my scene right before it crashed. These platforms I also have in another scene which works fine (in fact this is the only scene having problems). I modified it slightly and it works a tiny bit better (12 fps or so). Here is my logic. The last two photos are on a child of the game object. The first ism rotates the platform and if a trigger happens, freezes it in place. The second ism pushes the player off if they jump on the rotating platform. Thanks!

misterjuly

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 05:24:08 PM »
More pictures.