playMaker

Author Topic: Please develop Playmaker’s own game engine.  (Read 3329 times)

kingssman

• Playmaker Newbie
Please develop Playmaker’s own game engine.
« on: September 13, 2023, 06:07:43 AM »
I was disappointed with Unity Engine's new pricing policy.

I hope that Hutong Games will use this opportunity to develop its own game engine with Playmaker.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Please develop Playmaker’s own game engine.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 07:04:24 AM »
I don't think Hutong Games has the recourses to do this.
you need a big team of at least 100 people and a lot of financial recourses to come even near to Untiy/Unreal engines.

one other possibility would be porting to Unreal, but that would also still take a lot of time and effort, as unreal uses C++ instead of C#

kingssman

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 07:42:08 AM »
Otherwise, I would appreciate it if you could also release Playmaker for the 'Godot Engine', which is popular these days.

Artoo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 09:18:02 AM »
I don't think Hutong Games has the recourses to do this.
you need a big team of at least 100 people and a lot of financial recourses to come even near to Untiy/Unreal engines.

one other possibility would be porting to Unreal, but that would also still take a lot of time and effort, as unreal uses C++ instead of C#

Yeah I heard Godot is quite good for devs who have used Unity, maybe consider making PlayMaker for that too?
I feel there is going to be a massive migration of devs from Unity to Godot...

Lars Steenhoff

• Beta Group
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 12:52:19 PM »
If playmaker is ported to Godot this would be an instant buy for me.
Godot will get an asset store soon so it will not have to be free

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 07:44:17 PM »
it would be really good if Hutong Games make Playmaker for Unreal or Godot or something else because i dont feel like its worth continuing on with Unity, the people in charge there seem desperate to prove how batshit they are

Creti

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 02:15:57 AM »
Otherwise, I would appreciate it if you could also release Playmaker for the 'Godot Engine', which is popular these days.

That would be so cool, Riccitiello destroys everything i like...

DanielWicht

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 02:52:38 AM »
I would also like to underline that an Unreal or Godot port from Playmaker would be very very very welcome.

Speaking of which, how do Unreal Blueprints actually compare to Playmaker? Is it comparable?

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 08:08:30 AM »
I would also like to underline that an Unreal or Godot port from Playmaker would be very very very welcome.

Speaking of which, how do Unreal Blueprints actually compare to Playmaker? Is it comparable?

Although I was able to get into it (briefly) coming from Playmaker, no, it's not FSMs with states and events like PM. I think it's more like Bolt

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 08:09:22 AM »
I don't know how realistic it is, but I would also absolutely support a Godot version of Playmaker.

Twood

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 09:27:50 AM »
I'm so screwed because I have a long term project in Unity and can't leave it for some time.

However, anyone who ports from the asset store to Godot, and I have your asset for Unity, I'll rebuy it for Godot.

Creti

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 09:41:56 AM »
I'm so screwed because I have a long term project in Unity and can't leave it for some time.

However, anyone who ports from the asset store to Godot, and I have your asset for Unity, I'll rebuy it for Godot.

Same here, this could be the 2.0 version everyone is asking for :)

mrminico

Re: Please develop Playmaker%u2019s own game engine.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 04:23:59 PM »
After using Godot for 5 hours+ I came here to post the same. I'm also in the same boat as everyone here. 

It reminded me A LOT of when I left Unreal to get into Unity 4 back in 2014. Godot has TONS of potential (The same thought I had when using Unity 4). I found out they had visual scripting plugin in Godot 3.0: (https://godotengine.org/asset-library/asset/219)

but Dropped it in the latest 4.0 since it was a feature that was used by a very small percent of the user base.

I do think "Playmaker Godot" would be amazing since they no longer have their own visual scripting solution. The only annoying part is that they don't have an official asset store so the closest it gets to official is this website here: (https://godotmarketplace.com)

In the near future, however, there will be a newfound need for it as their engine continues to get better and bring traction. And to conclude I do think Godot (given the proper support) Could be the next big engine, especially since it's Open Source and Free, it's following the same footsteps of Blender. And all I can think about is when Blender 2.8 took everyone in the 3D scene by storm, the same will / can happen with Godot.   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 04:27:06 PM by mrminico »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 05:00:21 PM »
Hi.
I would personally not change to a different platform soon.

For most indie dev there actually doesn't change much with the new pricing.
you need to reach a revenue of $200.000 (in a 12 month timespan) or reach 200.000 installs.

Our game Dark-Light has a lifetime units on around 25k (on steam) so total probably around 30k
our revenue is around $200.000 but in a time span of almost 3 years.

So in our case we would still not have to pay anything to Unity.

I do think their "Installs" is very unclear to me and for many others (as several youtubers posted)
And its good that people raise their voices about it.

now for Playmaker, it would probably be possible to build a Playmaker version for Godot, but would probably take at least a year to achieve as its a completely different game engine.
Porting project from unity to Godot would probably not be possible.
Since there is not store (yet) it will probably also be hard to finance it.
But I am not a hardcore programmer, so I might be wrong about any of this :)

mrminico

Re: Please develop Playmaker%u2019s own game engine.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 11:52:40 PM »
Hi.
I would personally not change to a different platform soon.

For most indie dev there actually doesn't change much with the new pricing.
you need to reach a revenue of $200.000 (in a 12 month timespan) or reach 200.000 installs.

Our game Dark-Light has a lifetime units on around 25k (on steam) so total probably around 30k
our revenue is around $200.000 but in a time span of almost 3 years.

So in our case we would still not have to pay anything to Unity.

I do think their "Installs" is very unclear to me and for many others (as several youtubers posted)
And its good that people raise their voices about it.

now for Playmaker, it would probably be possible to build a Playmaker version for Godot, but would probably take at least a year to achieve as its a completely different game engine.
Porting project from unity to Godot would probably not be possible.
Since there is not store (yet) it will probably also be hard to finance it.
But I am not a hardcore programmer, so I might be wrong about any of this :)

Learning Godot doesn't mean you have to jump ship. Also, it isn't as bad, the learning curve isn't as steep as unreal. I do recommend people to give it a try if they have the time. For studios who are already in mid-development, it's definitely a tough decision and they have no choice.

And just because it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean it'll stop others from aspiring to do bigger numbers on their games. It also doesn't change the fact Unity was super unprofessional in how they rolled out the new policy, and they weren't transparent on how they're tracking installs. The news came out of nowhere, and Developers should've at least been given a year to prepare for this, since our livelihood is at stake here.

And although you may feel relief about not meeting the minimum requirements, that's not a great feeling. It shows how much we're being penalized if our game reaches a certain amount of commercial success, and we don't work hard year in and year out just to have Unity decide how successful we are. The people who love our games should be the ones who dictate that.