playMaker

Author Topic: Please develop Playmaker’s own game engine.  (Read 3331 times)

LordHorusNL

• Beta Group
Re: Please develop Playmaker’s own game engine.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2023, 06:28:14 AM »
For most indie dev there actually doesn't change much with the new pricing.
you need to reach a revenue of $200.000 (in a 12 month timespan) or reach 200.000 installs.

I believe it's actually the case that you need to reach both for the Unity Runtime Fee to kick in. You need at least $200,000 USD in the last 12 Months AND at least 200,00 installs.

And lets face it, almost no dev's are going to reach that target in a single year. So things are actually getting slightly better for most people.

And dev's that have more than 200,000 lifetime installs are the only going to be paying the Fee on new installs. Unity seems to be targeting developers that make big money.

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2023, 06:42:23 AM »
Unity has been making worse and worse decisions, this is just the latest one, who knows what's coming up.
To me personally this just means I now have to pay for PRO instead of PLUS, but also that I'm shipping software that is tracking players, without any choice on the matter.

As for the viability of a PM for Godot, yes it's a huge endeavour BUT there's a real chance of Godot becoming huge like Blender, and PM taking the spot as the go-to Visual Scripting tool for it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 06:47:37 AM by terri »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2023, 06:46:58 AM »
@LordHorusNL
I believe it's actually the case that you need to reach both for the Unity Runtime Fee to kick in. You need at least $200,000 USD in the last 12 Months AND at least 200,00 installs.

And lets face it, almost no dev's are going to reach that target in a single year. So things are actually getting slightly better for most people.

And dev's that have more than 200,000 lifetime installs are the only going to be paying the Fee on new installs. Unity seems to be targeting developers that make big money.
Exactly

It also doesn't change the fact Unity was super unprofessional in how they rolled out the new policy, and they weren't transparent on how they're tracking installs. The news came out of nowhere, and Developers should've at least been given a year to prepare for this, since our livelihood is at stake here.
I totally agree on this as well.
I even wonder if this is legal for them to 'Secretly' track install

Twood

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2023, 11:09:01 AM »
As for the viability of a PM for Godot, yes it's a huge endeavour BUT there's a real chance of Godot becoming huge like Blender, and PM taking the spot as the go-to Visual Scripting tool for it.

It's in need of something like that for sure, since Godot had a visual scripting but discontinued it. Be cool if something fills in that gap.

Even so it doesn't hurt people to learn the kind of basic coding that a visual editor accomplishes. Coding might be less fun to work with depending on your natural feelings about it, but in a pinch it's always going to be the most powerful part of whatever engine you're working with.

PolyMad

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
If playmaker is ported to Godot this would be an instant buy for me.
Godot will get an asset store soon so it will not have to be free

I am waiting for this as well.
I want to move away from Unity.
It's clear that they are not reliable.
Who knows what is waiting for us in the future.

mrminico

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2023, 01:29:53 PM »

It's in need of something like that for sure, since Godot had a visual scripting but discontinued it. Be cool if something fills in that gap.

Even so it doesn't hurt people to learn the kind of basic coding that a visual editor accomplishes. Coding might be less fun to work with depending on your natural feelings about it, but in a pinch it's always going to be the most powerful part of whatever engine you're working with.

I agree, I do C# on a beginner level and have modded several custom playmaker actions, the good part of Godot is its GDScript. The syntax seems less complicated than C# and It's derived of python which is easier to code. People should def try it out.

Also, I hope Alex is looking  ::) This is definitely another time for him to make that $$$ I'll rebuy playmaker on Godot 1000%

PolyMad

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2023, 05:21:17 PM »
you need to reach a revenue of $200.000 (in a 12 month timespan) or reach 200.000 installs.

It's actually 200k dollars (per year) OR 200k installs (lifetime).
I fall in the trap as well, and thought you needed to pass both thresholds before giving a coin, but it's not like that.

Once your game passes 200k installs, you have to start paying, even if you don't make a dollar.
If your game gets installed by 1 million people, but it sucks, and you get 20k dollars in total, you will have to give everything to Unity.
And I'm wondering what happens if you make a shitload on installs and Unity asks you 100k dollars...  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 08:28:09 PM by PolyMad »

JadenXavier

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2023, 12:37:00 AM »
While I'm certainly positive that my game won't make 200k in revenue & 200k installs within a year, it's still just too risky. In this day and age it only takes a handful of content creators to pick up your game and make it viral. We've already seen this happen in the last few years with games such as Among Us, Phasmaphobia & Fall Guys. I went through twitter a while back and I couldn't find it again but a game studio said they had to pay 20-30k usd to Unity had this policy been live when their game went viral, and that they wouldn't be able to pay it.

Besides, I don't think the 200k threshold is the issue, the big picture is how Unity can just wake up one day and force this onto the users. If they were willing to push something like this, what other ideas do they have?

All in all, I am jumping ship. I can't see myself developing in an engine where I'm constantly worried what kind of awful move they're gonna push in the next day, week, or month.

I also want to express my interest in seeing a version of Playmaker for Godot. And yes I'm willing to purchase it again ;D

PolyMad

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2023, 02:38:58 AM »
I completely agree, especially on the point that it's the number of installs that doesn't make sense at all.
200k a year: welcome if you can make it!
But your game one day will go past 200k installs, and keep growing in installs, but you won't land much money anymore probably: the number of installs will totally outpace the dollars you make and you will be F***ED.

BiggestLoooser

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2023, 06:54:20 AM »
Ge it to Unreal and lets all join hands in the "afterlife".

LordHorusNL

• Beta Group
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2023, 09:34:01 AM »

I fall in the trap as well, and thought you needed to pass both thresholds before giving a coin, but it's not like that.

Not according to the Unity website.

Unity Personal and Unity Plus: The Unity Runtime Fee will apply to games made with Unity Personal and Unity Plus that have made $200,000 USD or more in the last 12 months AND have at least 200,000 lifetime installs.

Your game must meet BOTH revenue and install thresholds for the fee to apply.

PolyMad

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »

Not according to the Unity website.

Unity Personal and Unity Plus: The Unity Runtime Fee will apply to games made with Unity Personal and Unity Plus that have made $200,000 USD or more in the last 12 months AND have at least 200,000 lifetime installs.

Your game must meet BOTH revenue and install thresholds for the fee to apply.

You are correct, I checked. I think they changed it, because you can see in my previous post that I attached a screenshot of a search I did with Google yesterday.

Alatriste

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2023, 05:06:42 AM »
Day 1 buyer for PM in Godot here. I heard Godot is going to open their own store soon. They should if they want to take advantage of this disappointing feeling with Unity.

mrminico

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2023, 06:25:40 PM »
it is! I've been using Godot now in my spare time and geez once you get the hang of it you'll start having so much fun. If I had Playmaker on Godot I would've ported most of my projects from Unity ASAP!

Twood

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2023, 03:22:46 PM »
Godot honestly feels like Unity from 10 years ago... but that's a good thing because the ADVANTAGE is it feels speedy and straightforward to work with, compared to all the Unity bloat and unfinished features of today.

I'm looking forward to Godot growing and hopefully I do a full fledged project in it one day. I think it's only going to get better. They're already getting on updating C# support massively: https://github.com/godotengine/godot-proposals/issues/7895