playMaker

Author Topic: Blockers for our Project - Renaming Custom Actions?  (Read 258 times)

wrymn

• Playmaker Newbie
Blockers for our Project - Renaming Custom Actions?
« on: February 01, 2024, 06:26:28 AM »
We are looking for a FSM solution for our project Darfall, that will handle high level scripting like abilities or quests.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1961600/Darfall/

We knew about a PlayMaker and gave it a try, we have considered it, however there are 2 critical issues currently preventing us from choosing this asset.

Rename Custom Actions
1. We will need to create a lot of custom actions for our systems. Not sure if I'm missing something, but its not possible to rename existing custom action classes? This seems like a huge dealbreaker, as currently renaming custom action C# class just breaks it in every graph, as we will definetly need to rename refactor our actions at some point.

We would expect there would be some [FormerlySerializedAs] attribute where we could specify the original full name of the class, but there seems to be none :(

Variable IDs
2. We have custom game save system and we are storing variables by their names into JSON.
With playmaker, its easy to get names and values of variables from C# code, however the issue is, if somebody renamed the variable in graph, it will break the previous game save, as game save JSON would still hold the old variable name.

I did not find it anywhere, is it possible to add some unique ID into the variable class? This ID would be generated once when variable is created in the graph UI, then never change (e.g. some guid). This would prevent breaking of game saves when somebody renames the variable from graph.

I know we request much, however I presume both scenarios would be also needed and useful to other studios and projects. This would be a huge step in supporting some more advanced features for bigger projects as ours.

If these 2 issues would get resolved, we would most likely switch to PlayMaker for our quest and ability solutions :)

Thank you very much :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:28:00 AM by wrymn »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Blockers for our Project - Renaming Custom Actions?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 01:13:31 PM »
renaming actions will indeed break as they are required for reference to build up actions layout and action sequences and will probably need a complete rewrite to change (especially without breaking existing projects)

So this will probably not happen (and if, it would not happen anytime soon)

You would be better of with some kind of wrapper so that the 'wrapper' can handle name changes and the custom actions point to that wrapper (by using id's).

wrymn

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Blockers for our Project - Renaming Custom Actions?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 05:52:37 AM »
renaming actions will indeed break as they are required for reference to build up actions layout and action sequences and will probably need a complete rewrite to change (especially without breaking existing projects)

So this will probably not happen (and if, it would not happen anytime soon)

You would be better of with some kind of wrapper so that the 'wrapper' can handle name changes and the custom actions point to that wrapper (by using id's).

would you please give me an example how to achieve this wrapper? We are completely new to playmaker API and really not sure how this can be done.

Maybe simple code example or what API docs to look would really help.

Thank you!